What's in the March 2013 issue of The Woodworker
This issue of The Woodworker marks the start of a new chapter in the magazine’s illustrious history, as Mark Cass takes over as editor. Regular readers will be familiar with his work as a contributor, and he brings to the role immense knowledge of the world of wood as a working joiner and cabinetmaker, a college lecturer and a former magazine editor with lots of journalistic experience. Here’s what’s in his first issue…
• Burr oak beauty – Roger Berwick completes his magnificently figured oak Davenport by fitting out the interior and installing his ingenious rise-and-fall gallery.
• One step at a time – Mark Cass presents a great project for anyone just starting out on the woodworking road. It’s a stool that can be made using only a basic toolkit and a power drill.
• Weaving inkles – Ian Wilkie explains how to assemble an unusual loom that’s used to create ‘inkles’ – narrow woven craft work such as trims, straps and belts.
In our Workshop section Andy King, the technical editor of Good Woodworking, continues his series that takes an in-depth look at workshop machinery. This month he tackles the mortiser. Andy Standing’s trawl through the woodworking alphabet reaches the letter C. Alan Holtham describes how he adapted an off-the-shelf drill press table to suit his own workshop set-up. Meanwhile, in Shop notes Keith Smith tackles the task of installing a 200kg granite worktop on an island unit in a customer’s kitchen.
Our Turning section includes a stunning bowl from Bob Chapman designed in imitation of the paintings of Dutch artist Piet Mondrian, and a vase of ingeniously turned wooden flowers from Colin Simpson. Last but by no means least, Chris Child offers an in-depth look at the techniques involved in sanding and polishing work on the lathe.
Our regular Test section has reviews this month of the following tools and equipment:
• Bosch GTS 10XC table saw
• Festool OF 1400 EBQ-Plus GB router
• Marples Trial 1 marking tool set
• Makita PJ7000 biscuit jointer
• Metabo Powermaxx ASE cordless sabre saw
• Pax 1776 18in tenon saw
• Trend router table insert
Never miss an issue of The Woodworker again by subscribing here. Not only will you get your copy of your favourite woodworking magazine early every month; you will also get FREE unlimited access to digital back issues of The Woodworker and to the on-line magazine indexes for the years 2006 to 2012.
Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!
We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!