What's in the Summer 2012 issue of The Woodworker
Summer seems to have come and gone in March this year! But if the unseasonable weather is keeping you out of the garden, there are plenty of ideas in our latest issue to ensure that you’re not idle in the workshop. Let’s start as usual with a look at our regular crop of projects…
• A second bite of the cherry – Roger Berwick presents the final instalment of his two-part alcove dresser build, and reports on a happy if poignant outcome to the commission
• Converging lines – Duncan Rose uses some offcuts of an unusual Australian hardwood called she-oak to fashion an outdoor table with a difference
• Low loader – Gordon Warr fills a gap in the garden furniture market with a low-level occasional table
• Perfect square – Peter Bishop completes a trilogy of table designs in this issue by constructing a square lounge coffee table that incorporates a plate-glass top
In our Workshop section Andy King, the technical editor of Good Woodworking magazine, explains how to make sure you have all the tools to hand and ready for use for your next job. Peter Parfitt describes the first stages in constructing a tailor-made workbench to his own specification. Andy Standing looks at the choices and priorities involved in choosing machinery for your workshop. Meanwhile, Keith Smith takes a breather over Easter, and finds time for some much-needed workshop reorganisation.
For the turners amongst you, Colin Simpson creates an unusual hollow form in cedar, then textures and bleaches it to emphasize its surface features. Alan Holtham describes how spalted wood occurs, and explains why it’s so highly prized by woodturners; he’ll be turning a spalted beech bowl next month. Lastly, Peter Bishop makes a set of church candlesticks with a silvered finish, commissioned in remembrance of departed relatives. Rather wittily, he calls them ‘memory sticks’!
Finally, our regular test section has reviews this month of the following tools and equipment:
• Axminster drum sander kit
• Axminster pillar drill table
• Axminster AWC20HP compressor
• DeWalt DCT410 cordless inspection camera
• DeWalt DW089K 3-beam line laser
• Makita RTO700C router/trimmer
• Robert Sorby Micro modular tool kits
• Trend D60 digital depth gauge
• Trend diamond stones
• Veritas detail palm plane
Never miss an issue of The Woodworker again by subscribing here. Not only will you get a copy of your favourite woodworking magazine every month but you will also get FREE unlimited access to Digital Back Issues of The Woodworker and FREE access to our Woodworking Video Archive
Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!
We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!