In this month's issue of The Woodworker - August 2010
There’s a bumper collection of no fewer than five fantastic projects for you to tackle this month, whether you’re just a weekend woodworker or have more serious shed time at your disposal.
• King of the castle – Paul Sellers returns to The Woodworker after a couple of years working in the USA to present a sturdy garden bench that’s fit for the National Trust… and look where he’s photographed it!
• Face the music – Peter Dunsmore makes an unusual table-top music stand in walnut with maple burr veneer inlays in the shape of a classical lyre
• Side by side – Vere Shannon raids his South African woodpile to create a pair of bedside tables in traditional Cape Dutch style
• Reach for the sky – Peter Bishop’s garden obelisk is the perfect way to create a stunning planting display in a small garden where the only way is up
• Round peg, round hole – Gordon Warr makes a little oak footstool with the help of Miller dowels, which offer a jointing method quite different from normal dowelling techniques
In the Workshop section you’ll find the start of a new workshop machinery series written by Andy Standing, who is looking at what’s involved in setting up a table saw. Alan Holtham presents a selection of clever power tool jigs and tricks he’s picked up over the years, while Keith Smith’s monthly musings in Shop Notes concern a turner’s apprentice and some broken screws. Doug Barratt makes a smoothing plane, and James Burger fashions two new block plane blades from scratch.
For the woodturners, Ian Wilkie presents his third and final feature on indexing techniques, and makes some reversible photo holders and an unusual little box. Bob Chapman turns a magic mushroom into a needle case, and Chris Child moves on to gouges in his ongoing look at essential turning tools.
Lastly, our regular test section includes reports on the following tools and equipment:
• Bosch GSR 3.6V-Li ProDrive cordless screwdriver
• Bosch GDR 10.8V-Li impact driver
• Metabo KGS254 sliding mitre saw
• Incra MLS 17 Super System
• Bosch GAM 220MF digital angle measurer
• SIP 01479 dust collector
• Bosch Clean hinge cutter
• Axminster HD flexible drive unit
• Axminster clamps
• Roy Child mini screwchuck
Never miss an issue of The Woodworker again by subscribing here
. Not only will you get a copy of your favourite woodworking magazine every month; you will also get FREE unlimited access to Digital Back Issues of The Woodworker and FREE access to our new Get Woodworking TV Channel!