By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Crafts hobbyist

Recommended equipment

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fiona Thompson 114/08/2014 22:07:38
1 forum posts

Hi. I'm new to this but have enjoyed reading Woodcarving magazines and have so far just stuck to making friends driftwood mirrors and little hanging boats and clocks. What I would like to know is what kind of cutting and drilling equipment would best suit my needs. I would be cutting pieces of reclaimed wood or driftwood, sanding etc plus cutting square or circle shapes from plywood approx. 15-20ins diameter.

I've been looking at the various Multi-drill kits but so many I wouldn't know where to start or would I be better off with a scroll saw or jigsaw?Any advice very much appreciated.

fiona

Brian Barber15/08/2014 23:03:37
160 forum posts
244 photos

Hi Fiona,

welcome to our site. You can gain a wealth of information here by just asking. So anyway in answer to your question by far the best tool you can purchase is a bandsaw. These are just brilliant at cutting just about any shapes in wood. Beware, however, with driftwood as it can sometimes be a little dangerous cutting three dimensional shapes on the bandsaw. They can jam or kickback. A little experience is necessary. No problem with flat pieces like plywood. The bandsaw is one tool I just could not do without.

Brian

Derek Lane15/08/2014 23:46:22
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Posted by Fiona Thompson 1 on 14/08/2014 22:07:38:

driftwood mirrors and little hanging boats and clocks.

fiona

Except for what you have mentioned above what other kind of stuff do you want to make.

For preparing the wood a bandsaw as Brian mentioned is a great tool with the correct blade it can cut quite small circles. I have a bandsaw and have changed the blade for on from Tuffsaws

Will you want to carve with chisels if so then maybe something like THIS would be something worth looking at as it can be used for small drilling as well as carving just by changing the heads and using the same motor unit.

Whatever tools you get buy the best you can afford.

Something that may help is if you can give a rough idea where abouts you are as someone may be able to point you to a supplier in your area where you can go and look at some of the tools before buying

Edited By Derek Lane on 15/08/2014 23:49:36

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact