By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Yew pot

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Reeves02/08/2014 11:19:01
622 forum posts
227 photos

I finally took the plunge at Yandles spring show and bought the Crown Revolution hollowing tool, so I thought it was time to post a few pics of the first thing I've turned with it. I found the tool quite difficult to use, but it was probably not helped by the yew being as hard as iron, and having a split that went from the outside right through to the centre, along its whole length. It was not immediately apparent when I bought the log, but you can see it in the first pic. Probably not the best choice for a first go at something like this, using an unfamiliar tool. Next time I'll use wet wood!

I had already turned most of this by the time I saw Derek's post a while back with an almost identical vase, but by then it was too late to change. I was even going to make a similar base, but SWMBO decided that it looked fine as it was! Sorry Derek, it wasn't intended to be a copy in any way.

The whole thing stands about 13" (330mm) tall by about 5" (125mm) wide. The collar and finial are purpleheart. The finish is several coats of sanding sealer followed by Woodwax polish. The walls vary between about 4mm at the top to about 8 at the bottom. I've also left the base inside much thicker than normal to give it some extra stability.

Yew vase 1

Yew vase 2

Yew vase 3

All comments & criticisms gratefully received.

Simon

dennis wake02/08/2014 20:36:48
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Simon

I like the contrast of both woods together and the shape is just perfect.

dennis

Simon Reeves04/08/2014 23:36:51
622 forum posts
227 photos

Thanks Denis. Next time the wood is definitely going to be a bit softer!

Simon

Derek Lane06/08/2014 23:15:06
3204 forum posts
990 photos

This shape has been around way before I did mine. I think it is difficult to find a new shape as most have been done before.

A great piece but I am not sure about the foot but that is a personal thing.. Well turned and finished.

Like you I have the crown tool, it takes a little while to find the setting that suits you but once you have it is great to use.

Simon Reeves17/08/2014 20:57:37
622 forum posts
227 photos

Thanks Derek. I wasn't too sure about the foot either, as I said in the original post, but who am I to argue???smiley

Simon

Malcolm Alexander 107/10/2014 17:48:58
57 forum posts
37 photos

That's very attractive Lovely work.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact