By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Canopy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee07/07/2014 19:42:21
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Made a start on another job this morning while I am waiting for some paint for another job. This one is a canopy which will sit over a gatway in a wall. It is all treated softwood. with all of the angles on this one I started work with a rod to build to.
dscn3643.jpg
Got the centre frame section cut along with the upright and the M&T's cut in them both. Then I cut the trusses to length and got creative cutting the angled tennons on these.
dscn3645.jpg
It was a little fiddly but seemed the best way to cut the tennons at the correct angle. I could have used the RAS but I like to leave this set up for cross cutting. It worked fine as the joints were a good fit.
dscn3644.jpg
Using the rod I marked and cut the birds mouths on the trusses.
dscn3647.jpg
By late afternoon I had all of the parts cut and dry fitted.
dscn3646.jpg
I have two more curved pieces to make for the frame and have some timber in glue up in the clamps ready for this. I shall get a bit more done tomorrow.

Mailee08/07/2014 19:12:47
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Got on well today and started with some assembly of the top frame. Front assembled.
dscn3648.jpg
With this out of the clamps I routed the detail into it.
dscn3649.jpg
Then finally got the front and back assembled.
dscn3650.jpg
dscn3651.jpg
I cut the posts to length and put the tennons on both ends.
dscn3652.jpg
Then made a start on the gallows brackets by making the back plates.
dscn3653.jpg
I need to buy some more wood for it now as this was all of my stock used.

Mailee09/07/2014 19:30:41
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I am just about finished with it now as the builder will fit it and the customer is going to colour it. this morning I started the really tricky bit of making the side supports. (I suppose you could call them gallows brackets but they are full half circles!) I do get some good jobs. :roll: I had to make these out of three pieces of wood to keep the grain running diagonal for strength. Again I used a full size rod as these have to fit between the wall and the front posts. After some fiddling about with the angles and glueing them up I cut them out and profiled them this afternoon. I then joined them to the back plates with a M&T and glue.
dscn3655.jpg
I had to clear some bench space to allow me to assemble the whole lot to check the fit of the brackets and the posts. ~Glad to say they all fitted with a little fettling.
dscn3654.jpg
Next job was to cut out the fascia boards and fit those. These are just screwed on so they can be replaced at a later date. My customer was insistent on the design of this as she had seen one she liked.
dscn3656.jpg
Finally I made a small finial to add to the centre which is an option and might not be fitted yet. (Depends on the customers decision) dscn3657.jpg

Mailee19/07/2014 16:17:47
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I delivered the canopy today and gave them a hand erect it, just so I could get some shots of it in place. I think it looks quite nice and the builder will take some shots for me once it is tiled. Pity about the square top to the gate opening, (or the curved top to the gate) which I think spoils the look.
2014-07-19 15.13.05.jpg

Brian Barber19/07/2014 23:15:23
160 forum posts
244 photos

Nice one Mailee. Like the style and constructional detail. Should look good when painted etc.

Brian

Ivor the engine20/07/2014 07:06:08
270 forum posts
46 photos

Yes your right about the gate, another lovely job Ivor.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact