By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Beating MDF Dust

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
daveO07/07/2014 18:03:57
250 forum posts
32 photos

Now
Some may have seen this, some may use it and others might like it.
For a long time now I have been constantly battling with mdf dust in the vac filters, for ever stopping to clean them (I cut a lot of MDF). I introduced a so called interceptor, although the one I added was designed as an attachment for cleaning fire grates, but thought well the is really fine dust in the grates so it may work, IT DIDN'T, so I went in search of the answer and eventually found it.
as can be seen on pic1 it is a small 5 gallon bucket with two inlet/outlets
pic 2 shows the internal pipe work, the long pipe is as supplied and extends down to around three inches from the bottom of the bucket, the only addition is a standard waste elbow bonded to the other pipe, once this is done and as pic 3 shows fill the bucket with around one inch of water, put the lid on connect everything up and start cutting ( of course ensuring you have first cleaned the vac filter) I cut for around an hour and then removed the lid and as can be seen from pic 4 all the fine dust is congealed in the water and the filters are as clean as when I started, job sorted, oh the reason for the elbow is simply to act as a baffle to stop any splashing water getting into the vac.
As said some may not like the idea but for me it's a God send

Davedc1 (small).jpg

dc2 (small).jpg

dc3 (small).jpg

dc4 (small).jpg

Peter Parfitt16/07/2014 14:31:41
1 forum posts

I use a cyclone interceptor for both my 2" (HPLV) and 4" (HVLP) extractors. As a result I only need to change my bags on the extractors every year. There is a UK company, Cyclone Central, who sell cyclone kits of various sizes.

Peter

Derek Lane16/07/2014 18:09:58
3204 forum posts
990 photos
Posted by Peter Parfitt on 16/07/2014 14:31:41:

I use a cyclone interceptor for both my 2" (HPLV) and 4" (HVLP) extractors. As a result I only need to change my bags on the extractors every year. There is a UK company, Cyclone Central, who sell cyclone kits of various sizes.

Peter

Or make one yourself out of a traffic cone works great save loads of money as well to spend on other needed tools

daveO16/07/2014 19:22:03
250 forum posts
32 photos

Derek

please tell more with regards to making your own?

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact