By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

teak square bowl

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
dennis wake05/06/2014 22:08:54
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

I took a bit of teak to the club last night and started to turn a square bowl. I didn't have the time to finish it so continued tonight. so here is the finished bowl. all comments welcome.

dscf3318.jpg

dscf3321.jpg

dscf3323.jpg

dscf3326.jpg

dscf3328.jpg

steve h07/06/2014 09:26:15
403 forum posts
128 photos

Nice piece Dennis - always a little scary turning those square bowls - had a rather large thumb on one occasion as result - the hard way of learning!!

Steve

dennis wake07/06/2014 10:05:23
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

thank you for your comments Steve.

you are not wrong I took my eye of the ball and with the lathe turning I tried to check the wall thickness. only thing that was checked was my fingers as the wings of the bowl tried to take them of. I have now got grazes on 2 fingers but finished the bowl first. I stopped the bleeding from them by putting super glue on them and carrying on.

dennis

Julian09/06/2014 11:40:19
556 forum posts
28 photos

Hey Dennis ! with all your experience you should know better than that. Glad the damage is not too bad and that the bowl wasn't damaged either.

dennis wake09/06/2014 16:23:29
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Julian

I must agree with you about known better it took just a second of laps in concentration. that statement about the bowl not being damaged was the first thing the wife said to me so you are both as cheeky as each other. I have one more bit of teak to turn the same as this so will definitely keep fingers out of the way of this one.

dennis

Julian09/06/2014 19:36:07
556 forum posts
28 photos

Dennis -- Glad you take it in good humour as it's meant, I do like the bowl and did have a go at turning one after looking at this post first time around, I had a piece of walnut given to me that was about the right size and got the gouges razor sharp but there was so much tearout on the end grain that I gave up on it. I will try again though with a piece of sycamore or something similar just to see how it turns out. Hope the fingers repair quickly -- Julian

dennis wake09/06/2014 19:50:56
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Julian

thank you for your comments. the tear out that you are getting is probably because you were doing a pull cut from the centre of the bowl. if you get use to turning from the rim of the wood ( corners} then you not only get a straighter line cut as the tool rub helps you. you also eliminate tear out. as you are getting further in to the bowl size you can then start cutting the bowl shape.

if I get the time later I may do a how to on this square bowl turning and hopefully the photos and description will give you a better idea of it.

dennis

dennis wake09/06/2014 23:19:05
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi all here is the how to I promised **LINK** hope you all enjoy.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact