By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

First Hand Made Project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gareth Hamilton28/04/2014 23:02:31
5 forum posts
4 photos

Hi everyone. I am pretty new to woodworking (Nov 2013) and currently completing a Level 2 course in Bench Joinery part time at my local college to get me a few basic skills and on the path towards a career in woodworking. I have a fondness of hand made craft and completed my first project with using only the tools you can see on the workbench in the image. I hope this is posted in the right place and hope you all like!

stool.jpg

Julian29/04/2014 10:06:59
556 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Gareth -- Thanks for posting the picture, a very good first attempt. You will always remember your first project especially one that has had a lot of time taken over it to get the details right. I must admire you though for being allowed to set up a workshop in your living room and not a shaving in sight devil --- Julian

Gareth Hamilton29/04/2014 11:51:38
5 forum posts
4 photos

The living room workshop is a very temporary measure - and it means I am forever brushing up. There are a lot of shavings but they currently reside in plastic bags. I have the best wife, really supportive and keen to learn bits and pieces too...

Ron Davis29/04/2014 19:43:43
1619 forum posts
201 photos

Nice stool Gareth, and not a power tool in sight! But even with a supportive wife I suspect a band saw or a planer would be a bit too much.

welcome to the forum and keep sending in pictures as you complete your next project

Ron

Derek Lane29/04/2014 21:59:29
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Great job Gareth nice clean lines and a great piece to practice what you have learnt.

Look forward to some more of your work

Bryan Britt02/05/2014 14:09:27
4 forum posts

Hi Gareth -- Thanks for this picture. It's very great woodworking. Great job.

Edited By Steven on 02/05/2014 16:40:02

Big Al02/05/2014 16:18:20
1604 forum posts
73 photos

If you want to advertise your web site then contact the owners of this forum and pay for it!

Steven02/05/2014 16:41:31
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Thanks Al and well said, the link has been removed and the member has been contacted to explain the reason for this.

Gareth Hamilton11/05/2014 00:46:03
5 forum posts
4 photos

Just a confirmation - the website remark wasn't meant for me... *phew* (I don't even have a website).

Great feedback from everyone - I am loving woodwork, coming from many years working behind a computer this has to be the most daring (taking a huge decrease in wage) decision I have ever made and also one of the best!

Ron, I am trying to stay away from power tools for the foreseeable future with perhaps the naive view on being able to make everything with hand tools - I understand this will slow the process but I'm okay with that for now. *that might change.

I also made a little beard comb from a piece of scrap as I started growing a beard when I started the bench joinery course. comb1.jpg

comb2.jpg

Big Al11/05/2014 09:14:45
1604 forum posts
73 photos

Hi Gareth,

Looks like a good start in working with wood, certainly better than the thing's that I first made some 30 years ago at school.

I look forward to looking at your future projects.

Al

Ron Davis11/05/2014 18:04:30
1619 forum posts
201 photos

I have seen it all now! A beard comb and spicy beard oil. Now that will attract the dust

Ron

Derek Lane12/05/2014 18:09:50
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

It's things like this that just make it pure fun as a hobby or even as a business

steve h02/06/2014 22:49:35
403 forum posts
128 photos

Very nice first piece, much better than mine, as i recall, still cannot believe you get away with doing it in the lounge!!!!

Steve

Michael Forster 222/06/2014 23:57:08
75 forum posts
52 photos

I'm enormously impressed by this - and great that you're concentrating on hand skills. I guess most of us use machines/power-tools for something these days but you're setting a good discipline especially in the introductory phase. Confidence with basic hand-skills really makes woodworking so much more enjoyable - and of course there are times when setting up the machine or jig takes longer than cutting an isolated joint by hand - so the skills will always be useful. it's also hugely satisfying. I love the quality of the work - there must be many more seasoned woodworkers looking at it with admiration - and the cleanliness of the bench and area is simply unbelievable! All in all a fantastic post - thank you.

Gareth Hamilton23/06/2014 00:11:04
5 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am really keen on improving my hand tool skills for two dominant reasons, the first being that I have a great respect for the craft and put a lot of significance in developing the traditional skills that will one day hopefully be the difference between a potential client choosing something I have created over something mass produced.

My second reason is possibly a more practical one in that I currently have my workbench in the living room, behind the sofa, so I don't have room for any machinery and even if I did, I think the waste generated would be too much for me to manage with my little dust pan and brush!

One day when I have a proper workshop I will no doubt have machinery in it but financially that is still a long way away and gives me added incentive to develop really great skills with hand tools to enable me to produce purchase worthy products!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact