By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Adhesives

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jeremy Micklem18/04/2014 02:43:18
9 forum posts

A couple of 'sticky questions' for the panel...

i) I've used Evostik Resin W PVA since I was at school in the 70s, and those pieces are still holding together, so I'm kind of attached to it. Trouble is it's pricier than other PVAs, but my fear is that a cheaper one might fall apart a few years down the road. Does anyone have long term experience of other glues, as to whether they last the distance?

ii) My workshop is unheated, so I'm also looking for a glue that will go off properly overnight in winter when the temperature's down to 0 degrees C. Any suggestions?

Big Al18/04/2014 09:04:16
1592 forum posts
73 photos

Personally I use titebond original wood glue. It's a modified PVA, often refered to as aliphatic wood glue. Again it costs more than a cheap PVA, but I like it and it has never let me down. And it will set overnight in a cold workshop.

Al

Jeremy Micklem19/04/2014 22:49:10
9 forum posts

Thanks Al. A cabinetmaker I know locally uses it too. Could be the one to go for.

Jeremy

Eugene Anderson01/10/2014 18:28:40
47 forum posts
21 photos

0 degrees C is freezing point, ain't no glue going to work in that temperature.

Everbuild D3 is as good as any other and commonly available in builders merchants, if you want what the kitchen worktop manufacturers use then D4 PVA (Everbuild again) can be got on the net.

Andy

Paul Bodiam02/10/2014 14:29:22
99 forum posts
45 photos

Another vote for titebond original here.

I use it on all my guitars and ukuleles, including for fitting bridges which are subject to some pretty scary sheer forces on a working instrument. As Eugene says, no water-based glueis going to work below freezing point. I have a frost heater in my workshop (comes on only if the air temperature goes below 5 C) specifically to protect my glues and finishes.

Malcolm Alexander 104/10/2014 14:19:52
57 forum posts
37 photos

My son and I use titebond III. It seems to do the job well in all conditions, but have little experiance of others.

Need to shop around as the prices do differ a lot.

Jeremy Micklem13/10/2014 02:10:24
9 forum posts

Thanks for the ideas, guys. A lot of people seem to like Titebond I or III for normal use.

For the cold, I might do some trials with different types of glue when the winter's upon us.

Aleksandrs Solovjovs13/03/2017 18:22:46
7 forum posts

There are a few new Bison glues, that comes with different strengths. If I'm allowed to post the link, here's the choice. **LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact