By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

PM feedback

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steven22/03/2014 18:06:11
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Private messaging, does it work for you?

I have been looking into improving the visibility of new private messages after suggestions that new messages are not noticed or not noticed soon enough.

The ball is rolling with our very helpful IT team but options are limited! As web editor I can change the content of the website but changes to the page format would affect all of our websites so are not allowed.

So thought I would take this to the top, the website members, perhaps you could let us know if you think changes are necessary.

If you are not sure what a new message notification looks like you can check this by sending yourself a PM!

Here’s one idea that is possible, the flashing envelopes could change colour from black to red at the moment they flash from black to white, this is a subtle change but might be just enough.

Are changes needed and if so do you have a suggestion?

Steven

dennis wake22/03/2014 18:48:42
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Steven

not Shure weather this would work or not. but not every one vues the sit on a day to day occurrence so is it possible to link it to members email address as other posts do and then they will see and read / reply.

just an idea

dennis

Steven22/03/2014 19:21:38
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Thanks for that Dennis, yes it is possible.

Go to settings on the homepage, top left corner just above the getwoodworking logo. You need to be logged in to see this. From here you can set your personal preferences. Now click on My Account and you will see private Messages, tick the box 'send me an email alert when a message arrives' and your done.

You might want to check your other settings while your there.

Steven

Edited By Steven on 22/03/2014 19:39:43

dennis wake22/03/2014 19:39:47
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

thank you for that Steven I have implemented the changes

dennis

Derek Lane23/03/2014 14:27:49
3194 forum posts
990 photos
Posted by Steven on 22/03/2014 19:21:38:

Thanks for that Dennis, yes it is possible.

Go to settings on the homepage, top left corner just above the getwoodworking logo. You need to be logged in to see this. From here you can set your personal preferences. Now click on My Account and you will see private Messages, tick the box 'send me an email alert when a message arrives' and your done.

You might want to check your other settings while your there.

Steven

Edited By Steven on 22/03/2014 19:39:43

Should this not be set as standard. I like the idea of flashing black/red envelope

Ron Davis23/03/2014 15:40:33
1590 forum posts
201 photos

I agree with Derek, you could reverser the idea and members could then go to settings to turn it off if that is what they want.

Ron

Steven24/03/2014 18:06:13
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Hi Derek and Ron

Thanks for your replies I agree an email notification is a good way to alert us of a new message. I am advised this option is not set as standard because some people would report us as spam as they had not opted in. I am awaiting confirmation on this and will keep you posted.

The flashing envelope colour change could still be a way forward but hope for more feedback on this as some members might find it too ‘in your face’

Steven

Steven28/03/2014 18:36:17
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Here’s a progress update, the tick box to set an email alert for new messages is now on your inbox page, this is good, as anyone using messaging will see the option to change this when they open their inbox.

Over to the question of the flashing envelopes… well only one response so far, I’m still hoping for more so will put this on the back burner for now.

Steven

Ron Davis28/03/2014 20:37:33
1590 forum posts
201 photos

I like the idea of the flashing envelope, it will alert people to the presence of a PM. Try it and see the response then. Most people will like it I reckon

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact