By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How to use the mortising attachment on a Kity Planer?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Baddeley09/03/2014 20:37:18
54 forum posts
2 photos

I have owned a 439 for a while now, and always wondered about the attachment for mortising. I can't find any info on using one.
Anyway I called NMA and rashly ordered one from them. Having received it I can see no way you can use a normal powered mortise chisel (as used in a powered mortising machine) with it - am I right?
If so I assume you use a milling bit and finish with a round ended mortise, as if it were done with a router.
Would some kind soul confirm this, or put me right, please?

(Obviously, it came with no instructions; if any are available, please point me to them.)

Thanks, John.

Mailee09/03/2014 22:10:13
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Yes John you are correct in your assumption, there are special cutters for it. I have not used one myself but have seen one in use. If I remember correctly it consists of a small table that bolts on to the side of the machine. This table can be moved horizontally by means of a handle to plunge into the cutter and then moved from side to side to cut the mortice. The cutter screws onto the end of the cutter block spindle. I am afraid I can't help with any instructions though sorry.

John Baddeley10/03/2014 00:40:06
54 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks Mailee, you're right - two levers move the table (to plunge and move sideways).

Mine came with a chuck (just like on a drill). Presumably an end-cutting spiral cutter would suit.

Does anyone else have any info/experience, please?

John F10/03/2014 22:59:15
53 forum posts
14 photos

John,

I have one of these and yes they do/did come with a spiral cutter to make the mortise, they work reasonably well with a little care but of course you need to clean out the corners with a chisel.

If you PM me with your email I think I have a PDF of some instructions for these units.

John F

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact