By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wood Womble

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane18/02/2014 18:38:30
3204 forum posts
990 photos
I think I am turning into a wood womble. Is this normal

I went out today to collect some ink through freecycle for my old A3 printer, well on the way back three men cutting down a beech tree. Stopped the car and ask what are they going to do with it

"going to burn it"

"oh can I please have some"

And they even loaded the car for me.

As you can see they had already cut it into short lengths, have now split in half and sealed the ends

I am having a great start to the year with the logs the other day and also the blanks I was given last weekend, can it get any better I hope so

I took two photo's to show the diameter and length I only had 1 ruler to hand at the time.
dscf2767.jpg
George Arnold19/02/2014 12:38:29
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Dereck

That's the joy of wood turning you can make use of what other people throw away carry on the good work

I have had to give up wood turning my sight is going, I can no longer druve, only the wife mad.

George

Simon Reeves19/02/2014 12:43:19
622 forum posts
227 photos

Now if that's not an excuse for a deep hollowing tool, I don't know what is! Look forward to seeing the end result of these Derek.

Simon

Derek Lane19/02/2014 13:15:54
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Thank you both.

Glad to see that you are still around and looking in George. Are you able to do any other woodworking.

Also hope your health is fine (other than your eyes). I drive the wife mad to.

Simon the revolution hollower I have will go to about 10 1/2" ( I have the 1/2" and 5/8" shaft with mine)I did not want one any bigger as I very rarely get any big logs and also have to consider the old lathe.

Need to let the logs drain a little first otherwise I will be wetter than if I stood outside in a rain stormlaugh. The logs oozed out water when a split them with a hand axe and that was hard work. I caught the people just after they had cut the tree.

Edited By Derek Lane on 19/02/2014 13:16:22

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact