By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Small bowl/plater

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane20/01/2014 15:16:02
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Small bowl/plater call it what you like I had a round of spalted beech which started at 9 1/2" X 2" and ended up 7 1/2" X 1". It was so near the point as being firewood not that wood this soft in places would be any good on the fire. Whilst turning it I had to keep applying sander sealer to help with stabilizing it.

Anyway i persevered and this was the result
dscf2633.jpg
dscf2635.jpg
Mark Raine20/01/2014 15:51:25
12 forum posts
3 photos

Beautiful! - always amazes me what nature can provide, but it takes a good craftsman to show it.

Wolfie20/01/2014 18:49:49
406 forum posts
76 photos

Hi Derek, I'm sure you are glad you persevered with it. It is a beautiful piece with striking grain pattern. Congrats.

Ian

dennis wake20/01/2014 20:12:03
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Derek

what a lovely bit of spalting you got there. I know what you mean by nearly I have a bit of spalting and it must have been on and of the lathe several times now and still not finished. it is spalted and full of worm holes may finish it may not. I just hope that if I do it looks as good as this dose.

dennis

sad sam20/01/2014 20:26:36
597 forum posts
234 photos

bravo derek im afraid i lost it with mine binned the piece i was turning and gave the remainder to the first person in our club who mentioned that he would like to try turning some that was about a year ago we are still waiting to see the outcome so congradulations on your lovely job derek

Derek Lane20/01/2014 21:21:35
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Thank you all for the comments.

When I did the inside I took the whole thing off the lath still attached to the chuck and stood it on the bench then promptly poured the thinned sander sealer in the hollow filling about half of it then rolling it around right up to the rim the lot soaked in in less than 5 minutes, I then left it over night to dry right out before finishing the inside and that really worked a treat.

Bruce Rauncar22/01/2014 20:45:06
173 forum posts

Gorgeous piece! It's worth all the hardwork and effort, the grains and colors look amazing. Like the shape, it really shows the beauty of the wood. Excellent job Derek!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact