By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Walnut box & Neat hinges

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eugene Anderson17/01/2014 14:51:35
47 forum posts
21 photos

Just finished this Walnut box and thought I'd use Ian Hawthorne's new Neat hinges for the hardware, It is always a tough decision which hinges to use and usually the deciding factor is down to price but if you are going to spend time and effort making a box and it is going to be a thing of beauty (hopefully) then it seems a shame to spoil it by fitting cheap hardware which always looks out of place and detracts from the finish.
I also decided to use one of his Neat Locks, I think a box always needs something at the front and it's either a handle or a lock, obviously a lock is added value.
Ian's older type hinges had a knuckle which had to have a small recess cut to allow it to open, these new hinges are made differently and do not require any additional cutting, they make fitting hinges a breeze. Anyone who has tried to fit quadrant hinges will know the problems of making two cuts on each corner and then cutting out a mortise for the stay, these hinges require no more than one cut each corner and screwing in, four passes on the router and job done.
The setting up of your router table is important and it requires some scrap, this is where some forward thinking comes in and a short length extra needs to be produced when cutting the sides of the box. Fitting instructions come with the hinges and lock and a few minutes setting things up accurately pays dividends, my little 8mm cutter actually cuts 8.5mm (I will have to invest in a spiral bit) so the slot is slightly larger than required and leaves an unsightly gap. The hinges and lock measure 8mm across so leave plenty of wood either side of the hinge if you cut your box sides to a minimum of 13mm. As the box needs to be in Lincoln tomorrow I didn't have time to make an escutcheon but will do so next time.
These locks and hinges are highly polished and add that bit of quality to your box, the lock mechanism is firm and secure without any play and locks onto the striking plate firmly but it also moves freely, all in all I think they are well worth the investment for a box you are spending time and effort on.

Ian also does a 180 deg opening hinge for games boards and writing slopes etc. just Google Hawthorncrafts or Neathinge.

Question for you, how much do you think I should be asking for this stuff ? I am in a constant quandary about pricing my boxes, they obviously need to be priced to sell but then you need to make a few squids, I am retired so my time doesn't really come into it, I am always being told to charge for my time but this is not my living and the time it takes me to do one of these (8-10 days is at my speed) is not important, I do this at my pace and start and stop when the fancy takes me.

Andy

box 1.jpg

box 2.jpg

box 3.jpg

box 4.jpg

box 5.jpg

box 6.jpg

Big Al17/01/2014 17:53:48
1593 forum posts
73 photos

Wow what a beautiful box Andy, am I right in thinking that the walnut is American black? Looks like a burr in the top.

What did you finish the box with?

With regards to pricing, the last time I saw boxes of this quality for sale was at a craft fair in Cirencester about 7 years ago, and the stall holder, of whom I believe was the maker of the boxes was charging between £200 and £300 each. I don't know if this falls into the kind of return that you are hoping for, and I don't know if they would sell at those prices.

Al

Mailee17/01/2014 20:30:00
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

That is a truly stunning box Andy. You have certainly put some work into it. Excellent craftsmanship.

Eugene Anderson17/01/2014 20:43:21
47 forum posts
21 photos
Posted by Big Al on 17/01/2014 17:53:48:

Al,

The lid is veneered with book-matched Walnut Burr and the box is finished with 3 coats of spray Cellulose Lacquer then buffed with Microcrystalline wax applied with 0000 wire wool.

Andy

Edited By Eugene Anderson on 17/01/2014 20:44:07

Derek Lane19/01/2014 00:43:06
3206 forum posts
990 photos

Absolutely beautiful there is no other word to describe it you made a great job of the box. How big is it and did you have to worry about movement of the centre panel of the lid.

Wolfie19/01/2014 12:33:01
406 forum posts
76 photos

Hi Andy, that is one truly beautifuL box. Superb craftsmanship. Congratulations

cheers. Ian

Simon Reeves20/01/2014 12:59:19
622 forum posts
227 photos

A thing of beauty for sure Andy. Great craftsmanship and attention to detail. I love it.

As Al says, looking at the amount of effort and skill that goes in to something like this, £200-300 seems about right, but would it sell? Like you, my woodworking is only a hobby, but you have to be realistic(ish). Obviously you need to cover your costs (£27 for the hinges is not cheap, but obviously well worth it for a quality job), but also make enough to fund the next project or two.

Simon

Bruce Rauncar22/01/2014 20:23:54
173 forum posts

You make awesome boxes! Gorgeous woods, elegant design, flawless finish and great choice of hardware. The inlays and splines are great accents. They are worth to be heirloom pieces. Excellent job!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact