Tall chest of drawers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Steven11/01/2014 20:32:58
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Hi Big Al,

A beautiful chest of drawers. Love the taper on the drawer fronts and the contrast with the surround. How did you construct the drawers and did you use bearing or traditional wooden drawer runners?

Steven

Big Al12/01/2014 07:58:07
1599 forum posts
73 photos

Thanks Steven, I made drawers boxes and then screwed on the fronts, The boxes were made from tulipwood/poplar and joined together using through dovetails. I grooved the sides of the boxes to take wooden runners, and the drawer front stops the drawers.

Al

Derek Lane12/01/2014 16:46:36
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Al a very nice set of draws I also like the way you have tapered the top in and used contrasting wood for the draw fronts and the frame. Did you use conventional jointing or go with Biscuits or Dominoes for the carcase

Edited By Derek Lane on 12/01/2014 16:46:59

Wolfie12/01/2014 17:15:51
406 forum posts
76 photos

Beautiful work Al, I really like the design and love contrasting woods. A really elegant piece, congratulations.

Ian

Big Al12/01/2014 18:13:54
1599 forum posts
73 photos

Thanks guy's, I used biscuits to join the cherry to the ash, and used housing joints for the carcass.

The chest also tapers back at the front.

The inspiration for the chest came from the Egyptian inspired dresser that sparky made a few years ago. I had a quick look on the Internet and took inspiration from a few different chest's. I may make a wardrobe to match, but not for a while.

Al

Edited By Big Al on 12/01/2014 18:14:55

Bruce Rauncar15/01/2014 19:40:08
173 forum posts

Wow! That's one gorgeous and tall chest of drawers. Like the choice of woods, really looks attractive and the design is fantastic. Excellent job!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact