By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sourcing Oak

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MCR11/01/2014 14:55:59
7 forum posts

Age old question, I know, but I need to source oak planks on a regular basis for a new contract. I've never bought much oak; builders merchants have covered my needs so far but aren't the cheapest option. To make it viable I need to keep the cost down so Importers or saw mills are probably the way forward. I can't store in bulk though.

Does any one out there have any ideas. I live/work near Malton, North Yorkshire.

daveO11/01/2014 16:49:59
250 forum posts
32 photos

hi

try John Boddy in boroughbridge 01423 322370

Dave

MCR13/01/2014 11:42:34
7 forum posts

Thanks for that Dave. I'll give them a call.

I've heard there are a few saw mills in the wider Malton area who deal in hard woods but don't know what they're called. Does anyone have any info?

Amos Starkadder16/01/2014 07:01:37
25 forum posts
1 photos

I usually pick up a couple of oak planks at the Beacon Hill wood show in Leicestershire each year from Mick Waldram of Rowan Woodland Products (mick@rowanwood.demon.co.uk). He slices them off the log at the show and it's fairly cheap when bought wet. The rest of the time I think he does a lot of oak floorboards.

Chris Grice 116/01/2014 13:07:15
1 forum posts

Nick Coats of British Airdried Hardwoods (01759 380606) is based at Wilberfoss near York has some very nice timber for sale.

Duffield timber at Melmerby hold a lot of timber, they are near Ripon.

Mark Raine16/01/2014 16:29:23
12 forum posts
3 photos

In Hull there are 2 companies you can use;

Arnold Laver www.laver.co.uk

or

Burnetts www.nrburnett.co.uk

Both deal in about a dozen hardwoods, i find burnetts a reasonable price. Hope this helps

Mark

Mailee16/01/2014 18:18:40
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Now that is interesting Mark, I didn't know of Burnetts in Hull as I usually use Arnold Laver there. The quality of wood is good but their prices are a bit higher. I will have to give them a call to see what they can do for me. Thanks.

Peter Leslie 120/01/2014 21:53:33
4 forum posts

Your best bet is Scawton Sawmill in Thirsk just down the road from you. They import kd and ad euro oak from 20mm-100mm plus some other timbers, poplar, cherry, chestnut, syc

They do 1" QB3 oak for about 22quid a cube. I've had some great timber off them in the past, if needed they will pallatise for 70quid. I've no affiliation with them beyond being a satisfied customer.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact