By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bandsaw choice?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony FIELD 109/01/2014 13:06:26
5 forum posts

Hi All.

I'm building a table for our hall and since I got some money for christmas and it's my birthday soon I'm going to treat myself to a smallish bandsaw to cut the cabriole legs with. I'll only have £200 spare for the machine so I'm think I'm going to get either the Metabo 260 swift or the Record BS10. I had previously looked into the cheaper Axminster and Charnood machines but couldn't decide. The stock I'll be cutting is 70mm thick so I was thinking one of 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch fastcut blades from tuffsaws (4tpi)

Does anyone have expereince of these two saws? also would ththese blades be suitable?

Thanks

Derek Lane09/01/2014 13:38:00
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

I have an Axminster bandsaw larger than what you are looking at and I am very pleased with it they also give good after sales service. So have a good look at those as well if you can go bigger the better as in most things you always seem to need a larger cut than what you have.

As for the Blades give Ian (Tuffsaws) a ring explain exactly what you want to do and he will advise which one is best. He advised me on the best blades for my use and now on my second lot from him

Tony FIELD 109/01/2014 14:55:41
5 forum posts

Thanks for your reply Derek. One of the reasons i chose the smaller bandsaws was simply because of space. I have an old leaky asbestos garage so do all of my woodworking in my back room (when my mrs allows me) At some point I'll be building a workshop but no idea when that will be so everything has to be small enough to fit into the corner of one of our rooms when not in use. So far I have a mitre saw, jigsaw, sander, two bags of hand tools, router, workmate, ALOT of wood and other bits and bobs that I use to make things with all stuck in a corner of a room. I think I just have enough room for the bandsaw at the moment. I dont have a problem working in the cramped room, I hate cleaning it after though. Alot of people rate tuffsaw so I'll give Ian a try, thanks.

Michael Forster 202/03/2014 07:08:17
74 forum posts
47 photos

One thing about bandsaws is that getting bigger doesn't necessarily mean a larger footprint - my Startrite 401E is massive alongside its predecessor, the BS 350 but , amazingly, actually takes up less floor space. You might find the same wiht bench-top models - that you can go bigger, and get the many benefits of that, without taking up more bench/floor space - but in your situation of course you do need to be able to lift it

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact