By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

lathe not turning "round"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Raine09/12/2013 12:22:02
12 forum posts
3 photos

Hello, I'm after a bit of help.

I have been wood turning on and off for about 2 years with about a dozen pieces that i am happy with. I was just getting a bit 'confident' with my work when my lathe stopped turning round.

I was turning a 7" sycamore bowl blank and noticed that when i tried getting the blank from a rough cut to a "round" blank it appeared to be oval. what i mean by this is that as i put the tool against the wood to cut it it gets constant contact with the wood, however when i put the tool next the the blank and turn the lathe by hand i notice that it will touch on 2 points but upto 5mm gap on the rest of the blank.

I am using a Record Power DML24 and up and till now with smaller pieces of wood have had no problems, there is no "obvious" movement other than a bit of vibration.

Has anyone come accross this before as i would be very greatful for a solution, thank you in advance.

Mark

Derek Lane09/12/2013 17:02:24
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

Hello Mark. Just a couple of questions is the wood dry wood or green, If green have you left the blank over night then come back and found it oval. as this can happen especially if you have rough turned it. It is surprising how much movement you can get when you leave green wood over night.

If the wood is kiln dried normally it will not move, do you have a faceplate for the lathe if so fit that to the lathe bring the tool rest up to the edge and again turn the lathe by hand and do you have the same problem if yes then check the bearings. You also mention vibration when does this occur. These are the things I would try first others may come along with their ideas

Eric Harvey 109/01/2014 09:40:01
221 forum posts
81 photos

have you checked for front to back movement on the bearing as well as side to side movement,if theres play front to back that could cause the oval shaping,just a thought.

Julian09/01/2014 20:27:18
552 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Mark, a 5mm throw is quite lot on something like this. As has been said by Derek and Eric the bearings are the most likely cause and not uncommon either. Do you get the vibration when there is no stock mounted on the lathe ?

Julian

dennis wake09/01/2014 22:16:14
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Mark

firstly is the ovality always in the same orientation( is it wider on the grain.) how are you holding the timber is it with a screw chuck as if this is not really tight then you will get movement on the timber. I tend to screw a small chucking plate that I made from a scrap of Perspex type of material. if you try this first to see if you can eliminate it .

how long have you had the lathe and did you get it from new if you did then email record and they will help you through the problem you have

were are you from as you haven't filled in your profile. if you are near the north east of England then I may be able to have a look at it for you.

dennis

Mark Raine13/01/2014 16:18:54
12 forum posts
3 photos

Thank you for replying to this problem. My garage at the moment is going through one of those annual tidy up so not using the lathe at the moment. When i am back up and running i will have a try at some of the suggestions and if the problem still occurs i will try taking some photos to explain what is happening.

Mark

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact