By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

may give up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J W04/12/2013 07:53:16
137 forum posts
9 photos

Hi,

I am thinking of giving up turning as I still cant get to grips with it, and have not found anyone local to spend a few hours with,

I would have a quantity of wood to get rid of and it would be a shame to put it on the log burner so it will become free to good home, I just wondered if any one is in the midlands area and would be interested in it if I give up.

I have some lovely laburnum and quite a few un known blanks. including black walnut.

Steve

Derek Lane04/12/2013 18:44:37
3206 forum posts
990 photos

Do you not have a club near you Steve where you can get help

Eugene Anderson05/12/2013 18:51:48
47 forum posts
21 photos

Whereabouts are you Steve? looks like some mountains in the background so I doubt if it's lincolnshire where I am if you wanted to spend some time, is it the handling of the tools that is causing you the hassle or what?

I only took it up a year or so ago and only had one day with a woodturner, struggled on with a couple of video's and lots of dig-in's, but now coming to terms with it, I try to keep a keen eye on the tool tip and everything I do so that if it goes wrong I can rectify it, gradually getting there and improving, see a few of the latest boxes I have made, the view is a little wrong as they were photographed to mainly show the Agate inlays.

Andyagate inserts.jpg

Steve J W13/12/2013 07:08:21
137 forum posts
9 photos

Hi,

Thank you for the replies - I did go to a local club but never seemed to get any help, I am from Staffordshire - the pic was taken on holiday, the problem I have is I keep digging in, steve

Simon Reeves13/12/2013 13:26:54
622 forum posts
227 photos

It would be a shame to give up if "all" (like it is always easy!) you need to to is master the techniques. If you can't get local support, there are some excellent books that would really help. "Woodturning - a Foundation Course", by Keith Rowley, is one of the best, as it shows you just what you would need.

You don't say what kind of catches you keep getting - are they on bowls or spindles, or both? I'm sure you know some or all of this already, and I'm sure some of it is stating the obvious, but in most cases catches are caused by not having the bevel rubbing, or properly supported, or cutting on the wrong part of the edge. You can guarantee that there is not asingle turner on this site who has not has a catch at some time or another.

If you were using a skew on a spindle for instance, you should really be cutting on the lower half of the blade, with the bevel rubbing, and be careful that you don't inadvertently lift the gouge handle too high so that the bevel stops rubbing, or turning/moving the skew such that cutting point moves up the blade beyond the half way point. If you do, a dig in is almost certain. Same comment apples to spindle gouges - make sure the bevel is always rubbing.

Same rule applies with bowls (at least, cross-grain ones) - until you gain confidence to do scraping cuts, make sure the bevel is always rubbing and take light cuts, always cutting "downhill", i.e. from centre to rim when doing the outside, and from rim to centre when doing the inside (unless you are undercutting). In both cases always make sure you cut on the lower wing of the gouge, with the cutting edge around centre height. Using the gouge to bore a hole in the centre of the bowl when hollowing the inside can also help to avoid catches, as the gouge will go from rim to centre, which is now air instead of moving timber.

Good luck, and never say never!

Simon

Ron Davis13/12/2013 19:34:11
1608 forum posts
201 photos

Hi Steve, sorry to hear that you did not get on well at your local club, we work hard at welcoming new members and try to help where we can. You did not say how often you went to the club, it will take a little time to get to know some one who can help. Try an email to the club secretary out lining your problem, the Hon Sec should introduce you to someone h who can help.

The other option is to go on one of the many courses available, a weekend away with a professional turner should work wonders, it did for me I went on a course before I bought the lathe.

Ron

Steve J W17/12/2013 17:16:46
137 forum posts
9 photos

Thank you so much Simon and Ron for the great advice and taking the time to help it is much appreciated, following this I might give it more time - I think the problem is I have jumped in with both feet and maybe trying to do complicated bowl turning before I could walk, I will start to go along to the club again in the new year and maybe get a few books, Thanks again to you all - Steve

Derek Lane17/12/2013 17:32:55
3206 forum posts
990 photos

I agree with the suggestion about getting "Woodturning - a Foundation Course", by Keith Rowley go back to basics and start slow if you go back to the club ask if someone can help. Quite often many people are afraid to ask I know I use to be but have soon learnt to ask.

Look forward to your new attempts

Michael Forster 203/01/2014 16:31:32
74 forum posts
47 photos

Hi STeve,

Although an experienced woodworker, I've never learnt to turn (did a few blanks for wooden screws on a drill-powered lathe in the 70s and got away with it by beginner's luck, but that's all I've done) but I'd say PLEASE don't give up as any kind of woodworking is so therapeutic, and if I could turn out those screw blanks with no tuition at all, then it must be within your scope to master it. I'll try and post a pic of that if I can - it was part of a wooden music stand I made. Do try and get the help you need, and persevere with it. I'm about to buy my first lathe and have a go at learning to do it properly! I wish you every success with it.

Michael Forster 203/01/2014 16:48:38
74 forum posts
47 photos

Hi again, Steve,

Here's that image I said I'd try and post - not a very good one I'm afraid it was a very basic camera! This was my first and only attempt at turning, and as such I hope it's encouraging - so please persevere!

img_0002.jpg

Brian lightfoot 129/01/2014 23:45:57
1 forum posts

Steve check your mail Brian.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact