By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Dust extraction outlets

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Amos Starkadder27/11/2013 12:18:36
25 forum posts
1 photos

Plenty of good dust extraction systems around from the likes of Camvac and Axminster, all based around readily available 62mm tubing and all the fitments to go with that size like blasts gates and flexible tubing and bends, perfect for the hobbyists workshop.

No fitments for the dust extraction outlets on the bigger machines though (older Axminster thicknesser, Record bandsaw).

These machines have 100mm outlets and there's simply nothing to connect them to a 62mm system. I chased around the recent Harrogate show trying to get a solution from Record - they couldn't do it. The nearest I got was a nice nested set of connectors from Charnwood,but I still only achieved 100mm - the same external diameter as my Record bandsaw, no rigid sleeve to connect 100 to 100. Soil pipe doesn't work of course, it's slightly larger and has a slack fit.

The Camvac people (who make extractors) were sympathetic, they hear this sad tale lots of times.

You wouldn't buy a motor car without a steering wheel, so how come all the power machine manufacturers don't make appropriate dust extraction connectors?

Paul Bodiam27/11/2013 13:22:03
103 forum posts
62 photos

Hi Amos

I use 63mm extraction piping in my workshop. For connecting to 100mm outlets on my bandsaw, planer, and sanding thicknesser, I use 100mm to 63mm reducers, available from Axminster:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/100mm-to-63mm-reducer-for-63mm-dust-extraction-kit

For connecting the 100mm reducer directly to the 100mm port on each machine, I simply tape them together with duct tape - the one on my planer has been there 6 years and hasn't leaked or come apart yet.  It works for me.

Hope this helps

Paul

Edited By Paul Bodiam on 27/11/2013 13:30:28

Derek Lane27/11/2013 14:15:06
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

You say "no rigid sleeve to connect 100 to 100." look at Axminsters 100mm -100mm hose connector

**LINK**

And the converter from 63mm to 100mm see Paul's Link

Hope some of the info Helps

Paul Bodiam27/11/2013 16:36:10
103 forum posts
62 photos

Derek - I could be wrong, but I've always thought that the 100mm hose connector was for joining flexible hoses together. The key thing here is that the flexible hoses have an INTERNAL diameter of 100mm, and that this joining piece is an insert that goes between the pipes, with an outside diameter of 100mm. Therefore, I assumed it wouldn't fit my needs. That is why I've always used gaffer tape to fit the reducer to each of my machines.

cheers

Paul

Derek Lane27/11/2013 17:38:09
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

Hi Paul I was looking at Amos's post.

I didn't know but is this one any good for you it is for joining 100mm pipe not flexible hose **LINK** you would have to talk to axminster for exact measurements

I have an adaptor that fits directly to my 100mm ports on my machines and takes it straight to 63mm luckily it came with one of them.

Edited By Derek Lane on 27/11/2013 17:40:02

Amos Starkadder28/11/2013 10:40:56
25 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Paul. Duct tape isn't a good option. Many of us have small garage workshops where space is at a premium, affixing anything permanently to my thicknesser would mean that I could no longer slide it off the workbench and onto the shelf behind (way too heavy to be lifting it) as this would add quite a lot to the overall width of the unit. A length of flexible tubing that can be quickly and easily clipped on and off machines is my preferred option, after all, most of the systems are designed that way - except for that final step.

All that's needed is a short length of pipe with a 100mm internal diameter.

Amos Starkadder28/11/2013 10:53:23
25 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks, Derek. I spoke to Axminster on the phone a while back and they weren't able to solve it. The item you linked doesn't fit the bill for 100mm internal diameter, something that would fit over an existing 100mm pipe.

As I say there are some good sets that will get all the way up to 100mm external diameter, that nested set from Charnwood (a mere £10 at the Harrogate show) is superb.

Inside fittings won't work with the Records BS12 bandsaw as there's an inside grille about 1cm in. I've never found anything that fits inside a 100mm pipe - that would work for the thicknesser but not the bandsaw.

Amos Starkadder28/11/2013 11:22:55
25 forum posts
1 photos

Regarding Derek's second link, I've just telephoned Axminster again. They think that item won't go over a 100mm pipe but very kindly they're going to send me one to check it. Don't hold your breath.

The nearest I saw was one side of a blast gate that Camvac were selling, you'd have to saw it in half to get the 100x100 external sleeve but it'd maybe be a little short.

Back to my main contention that there's no such thing as a short rigid 100mm to 100mm external sleeve

Paul Bodiam28/11/2013 12:35:04
103 forum posts
62 photos

Hi Amos

I've reached the same conclusion as you, which is why I use gaffer tape, but I can understand your space limitations which might make this impractical.

How about buying a short length of 100mm ID flexible pipe and cutting that up to use that as the joiner between the machine and the reducer? That *can* be slipped on and off the machine when it is put away for storage.

Something like this, cut into 200mm sections, will give you 5 joiners:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/clear-medium-weight-pvc-extraction-hose

HTH

Paul

Ron Davis28/11/2013 16:49:25
1613 forum posts
201 photos

Try this for an idea, I have soil pipe in my shed for ducting and this has an internal dimeter of 105mm, I find that 100mm pipe will slide in and i sealed mine with silicone sealant, works ok in my shed

Ron

sad sam28/11/2013 18:03:27
594 forum posts
233 photos

hi amos if you are stuck and have alathe why not turn a suitable fitting yourself or if you have not got a lathe and know someone nearby with one ask them if they will make one for you

Amos Starkadder29/11/2013 06:48:02
25 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Ron. That's the method I've been using on my thicknesser for some time. The slackness of the fit does mean that it occasionally comes loose. These machines produce an amazing volume of dust and chippings, a whole plank's worth of it suddenly spurting out all over the the garage is no fun,

I'll see what progress I can make with the machine manufacturers now, there's an obligation on them to provide something that's fit for purpose. We shouldn't have to be coming up with these less than ideal solutions.

Simon Reeves29/11/2013 13:18:31
622 forum posts
227 photos

Just another thought...

How about a 110mm all rubber coupler rather than a 110mm pipe or a rigid 100 to 100 coupler. These are only a few inches long, and have stainless steel Jubilee clips that you ought to be able to tighten sufficiently to grip on a 100mm OD pipe. The blurb says they will connect to pipes between 100 and 115mm OD. You can get them on fleabay for £6.49.

You could even replace one of the Jubilee clips with one that's operated by a twist key rather than a screwdriver, to turn it into a sort of "quick release". Axminster sell these, but I'm sure you would be able to get one from a local plumbing merchant.

Simon

Edited By Simon Reeves on 29/11/2013 13:25:17

Ron Davis29/11/2013 17:37:23
1613 forum posts
201 photos

Amos, to stop it coming apart, drill a couple of small holes and put in some self tappers or a Spax screw

Ron

Amos Starkadder04/12/2013 12:14:50
25 forum posts
1 photos

I've two more discoveries to add to this:

1. I've found something that seems to work, this link http://www.fastlec.co.uk/outer-sleeve-for-100mm-id-round-pipe-duct-1m-p-1675.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feedmanager&utm_term=cx_term&utm_content=cx_content&utm_campaign=cx_name&gclid=CMHll92SirsCFbMctAodEhIAnw#.Upicn9JdXKc will get you an "Outer Sleeve for 100mm ID Round Pipe Duct 1M" from Fastlec (electrical suppiers - well done them). I ordered a length of it and whilst it's not exactly snug over the 100m outlets on the thicknesser and bandsaw and connectors its a lot closer than 4" soil pipe and I reckon a bit of tape wound around the outlets (maybe even as thin as plumbers tape) and you'll have an airtight fit. Beauty is that you get a great long length of it so that's plenty of big pencil holders for Christmas smiley

2. I got a reply from Record. They've read this thread but oddly say "still not exactly sure what it is you require.". The respondents to this forum do and frankly I've run out of different ways to explain it now, I anticipated such comprehension failures even though I spent some time trying to explain to Record at the Harrogate show. (and about 10 seconds to explain to Camvac who said "I know - we get lots of complaints about that"

They tell me "The BS12 has 100mm outlet and we also do 100mm to 100m short rigid external sleeve" and direct me to http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/system-fittings The DX100S Straight 100mm dust extraction Hose Connector is described as "Straight connector for use in 100mm diameter workshop dust extraction systems" - that'll be their 100mm dust extractions systems won't it? I opened this thread with an observation about the suitability of systems for the tiny amateur garage workshops and yet Record say of the above posting "On there it talks about a 62mm reducer I am not really sure why and what you need this for" Put simply there's no room for the piping for the 100mm behemoths in a small garage workshop so many of us have opted for those terrific 62mm systems by Camvac and Axminster - that's what I started this thread with.

So no luck from Record either at the Harrogate show or through their enquiry system.

Straight connector for use in 100mm diameter workshop dust extraction system

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact