By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Pull cuts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Don McLaren17/11/2013 18:11:03
12 forum posts

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I am a self-taught turner and have attended 2 Axminster courses to develop techniques - but I still have a very long way to go. I have watched countless videos of the pull cut being used but have never mastered it and have had a few spectacular dig-ins! Do any of you have any pointers or advice for exercises to develop this skill? Also, are there any particular profiles for the gouge that are best suited for pull cuts? I am sure that one of the best ways to learn such things is to join a club - but I have searched the net and can find none within reasonable travelling distance of S Wiltshire/ E Dorset. Any tips or info gratefully received. Aye, Don

sad sam18/11/2013 18:58:18
597 forum posts
234 photos

hi don

i have whats known as a fingernail profile on my bowl and spindle gouges briefly they have elongated sides and i use them to clean up like a scraperwith a pull cut

hope this helps all you need is practice you will soon master it until then have lots of sand paper handy

Derek Lane18/11/2013 18:59:16
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

To start with a little about what tool are you using and how are you presenting it to the wood may help. Generally I use a bowl gauge to do a pull cut and have it on centre line with the flute facing into the work so that the lower wing is nearly scraping rather than try to cut as you would if you where to use it for forward cutting into a bowl. Another thing is that I use a finger nail grind on the one I use. Hope this makes sense

Don McLaren18/11/2013 23:00:25
12 forum posts

Thanks Sam, Derek. I do have fingernail profiles and have been running on the lower edge bevel and gradually turning the flute towards the wood until the edge begins to bite - sometimes it does snatch a bit! Do I take it that this is wrong and you present the lower edge at a much steeper angle with the flute almost facing the wood? If this is the case (and I haven't had a chance to try it yet) you have solved my problem. I have been trying to take a shaving off rather than a scraping believing the pull cut to be gouged cut. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again, Don

Derek Lane19/11/2013 17:22:28
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

Look forward to seeing some of you work Don

Mark Sutton19/11/2013 18:46:50
193 forum posts
59 photos

Hi

Apart from the answers above, i am not sure if you have seen these two videos, the first is by Lyle Jamieson, and the second by Andy Coates, which you may find useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2xHHxTs4Yg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDSEHi9Nwu0&list=UUaSwbcVM6I6bk41gKB2x4fQ (Andy Coates)

Also have you searched the AWGB for groups in your area, there is two maps available, one for Branches, and one for associates.

I hope you manage to sort out your problem

Edited By Mark Sutton on 19/11/2013 18:48:44

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact