By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Grandaughter Clock

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Barber12/11/2013 20:41:39
160 forum posts
244 photos

Thought I would let you have a look at one of my latest projects - a Grandaughter clock. I didnt want a great big Grandfather clock so this is a little version of my own design. Constructed from Sycamore and with a Westminster chime. It is really heavy with the lead weights etc so fixed to the wall in our Hall. i think it looks the part.

Brian

Close up

Derek Lane12/11/2013 20:51:59
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

That looks absolutely fantastic Brian it certainly does look the part. How long did it take and where did you get the clock from

Brian Barber12/11/2013 21:15:18
160 forum posts
244 photos

Hi Derek,

got the Movement from Martin H Dunn Ltd in Lincolnshire. They are a really good outfit and very helpful in setting up the Movement which can be tricky for a novice.

Took me a few months to complete but I can only get a limited amount of spare time in my workshop - household commitments etc - as you will know. Would love to spend more time in there.

With thanks

Brian

Simon Reeves13/11/2013 12:58:17
622 forum posts
227 photos

I agree with Derek - a fantastic job and a real hierloom piece too, more so because it's your own design. Brilliant stuff.

Simon

Wolfie13/11/2013 18:54:24
406 forum posts
76 photos

Excellent work Brian. A wonderful clock and one which you should be proud of. I love the full length glass front where the weights and works can be clearly seen. Congratulations

Ian

sad sam13/11/2013 19:31:19
597 forum posts
234 photos

great piece of work well thought out and very well made love it

Doug14/11/2013 18:13:47
3415 forum posts
35 photos

I agree with the other`s sentiments, stunning piece of work Brian.

I really do like the design, very attractive.

Doug.

Brian Barber14/11/2013 22:57:41
160 forum posts
244 photos

Thanks for all your great comments. I actually like the design process almost as much as making the piece. Having said that, however, the design tends to evolve as I make it. Great fun this woodwork lark, wouldn't know what to do without it. Always on the lookout for designs to copy, pinch or modify if you know what I mean.

Mailee15/11/2013 18:39:01
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

That looks beautiful Brian. I have also used Dunns in the past, it's just up the road from me, good company.

Oddjob18/11/2013 14:20:31
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Excellent design and craftsmanship though I am unsure about the choice of sycamore. I think a close grained hardwood would look better - for me at any rate.

The glass looks as if it is has beveled edges? If so it is a very nice touch of class. If indeed it is beveled, where did you get it made?

Richard

Brian Barber19/11/2013 21:23:48
160 forum posts
244 photos

Hi Richard, yes the glass has beveled edges, I used 6mm glass to give a decent size bevel but this adds to the weight of the cabinet. Purchased from local glass merchant not one of the big brands. Actually the Sycamore works really well and fits the decor of our hall. Also gives a silky smooth finish - I used Rustins plastic coating applied with many coats very dilute with a rag then finally a wax finish. Wanted a nice modern design nothing old fashioned with loads of mouldings - ugh. In my world it's the design that really counts after that it's "simply" a matter of building it.

Mark Sutton20/11/2013 08:37:55
193 forum posts
59 photos

Brian

That is a beautiful clock, something to be very proud of and a fantastic heirloom.

Well done and thank you for sharing

Mark

Bruce Rauncar20/11/2013 22:04:01
173 forum posts

Fantastic project! Beautiful choice of wood and clock, they go very well. Great design and finish. Great job Brian!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact