By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New Site Platform Now Live

Please use this thread to report any issues.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Woodworker19/01/2009 18:31:38
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Richard,

I've just sent you a test site-mail. All seems to be working fine. I clicked the 'message member' link at the bottom of you last post.

NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS
There are currently issues on the site specific to Internet Explorer version 6. The new site works much better with the current version 7 of Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. 
Mike Garnham19/01/2009 18:44:39
4114 forum posts
1 photos
 Baz said:
"Mike has alresdy said he has found nothing that makes him want to linger, & i am beginning to feel the same way, which is sad as i have previously thoroughly enjoyed the forum."

Well, if I did say that I didn't mean to!  I pretty sure I didn't though...

What I will say though is that until all the issues are sorted I am going to be notable for my absence. It is too difficult at the moment. I'll look back in at the weekend......or perhaps someone could send me a message when things are working properly.

Adieu

Mike
Oddjob19/01/2009 18:48:10
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Thanks Ben

Yes, the message seems to have worked ok but I can't see "message member" or "ignore member" at the bottom of my post.  Is that right? i.e. are these options excluded from the posting member's view?

Richard 
Oddjob19/01/2009 18:54:02
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Mike

I am sure I speak for many others as well as myself - Please don't go!  The forum needs your experience, expertise, pragmatism and wit.  I know it is difficult at the moment but I feel sure that Ben and co will get it right.  In the meantime they need our input (or do I mean agitation?)

Richard
Woodworker19/01/2009 19:48:06
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Richard,

I've checked the 'message member' feature and site mail functionality in the following browsers and all work perfectly as far as I can see; Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox. Safari and Firefox on the Mac.

Are you using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6? If so then you need to change it and not just for this site. IE 6 is about the most unsecure browser out there and is known for messing up all sorts of sites. This new platform hasn't been designed for use with IE 6 because it's now quite old and considered obsolete. As a result there are quite a few rendering issues when viewing the site in IE 6.

Hope that helps.

Ben 

Woodworker19/01/2009 19:52:59
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Anybody tried the forum search recently? It's working much better than it ever did on the old platform! 
Oddjob19/01/2009 20:03:05
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ben

I have Internet Explorer 7 - it comes automatically with Vista which I upgraded to a year ago.  I also get regular windows updates.

Richard
Woodworker19/01/2009 20:09:04
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Could you send me a screen grab of a forum thread page please Richard? I need to get something over to our developer for further investigation because I don't have an explanation as to why this would happen on similarly specced computers.

If you can please email to getwoodworking@mac.com

Cheers,
Ben 
Doug19/01/2009 20:54:33
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Mike, your post read :-

"Ben,,

hope you haven't pulled all your hair out over the last couple of weeks!!

I haven't had a good look around yet.............I have to say that I find the new look a little off-putting, and it doesn't make me want to linger. Particularly, the lists of threads feel very crowded, and the fonts are very similar.........it doesn't feel like a whole lot of seperate threads so much as a page of text.

Is it possible to make the listings within "Latest Posts" lists more differentiated. It used to be absolutely first-class.

Mike"

Though i didn`t quote you verbatim Mike i took what you posted to mean what i`d said.
I apologise if this wasn`t you meaning.

Baz
George Arnold19/01/2009 21:37:10
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Ben
In the old album or gallery it was split into seperate pages, so if you added a new set of pictures they appeared at the front, now they all appear on the screen and when you add pictures they go to the end of the page so anybody looking at the album can't tell which are the latest,  Baz asked how you make a comment on any ones picture I never looked at that side of the album, I'm sorry to see Mike Gs comment it seems the changes have not been received very well, It's a pity it could not have been done gradually instead of a total change in one go, I don't understand how these things are done, I see you srill say there are 5000 plus members? I hope your efforts to get thing corrected come to fruitition before to many leave the site, the posting certainly seem down in number.
I never log of I always stay logged in .
Good luck George
Toothy20/01/2009 16:24:52
458 forum posts
67 photos
Ben
I've waited to see how the new site works out BUT I feel the old site was much more freindly. Sorry.
I particularly dislike having to go back to 'Forum' each time in order to remain in 'Latest posts'.
At the end of every posting there should be 'Return to Top'. The link to 'Next' or 'Previous' thread should be reinstated.
Glad its you with the problems and not me
Toothy

Joe O 320/01/2009 20:29:32
203 forum posts
To Mike G,
I have to agree with everything Richard said in his posting on 19/01/2009  18:54:02
your absence from the forum would be a loss to us.
Joe.
Joe O 320/01/2009 20:33:24
203 forum posts
Hi Ben,
I see the "message me "problem has not been solved yet, but it is not the end of the world.
Joe.
Woodworker20/01/2009 20:44:37
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
Hi Joe, as far as I'm aware the message member issue has been resolved and is working as it should. Are you having problems?

Hi Toothy, I hope you hang in there! All is not lost just yet

Hi George, I know there are some additional developments underway for the gallery which I hope will be live soon. Posts on the forum are down at the minute but I've got my fingers crossed that enough of these issues will be resolved soon enough and then we can all get back to using the site how it was intended.

I'll keep you all posted with further developments. In the mean time, if you spot any more problems then here's the place to post them. 

Cheers,
Ben  
George Arnold20/01/2009 21:05:29
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Ben
 Thanks for your reply, let's hope the "clever boys" can get it all sorted, I know you are doing your best in the cercumstances,
George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact