By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Traditional Taboggan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Raine18/10/2013 09:27:15
12 forum posts
3 photos

Hello Everyone,

I have just joined your forum after looking at a few posts and finding the answers very useful.

I am looking at making a traditional taboggan for my 3 year old. One a bit like the picture below:

The Davos Toboggan

I don't think i'll have a problem with the main frame. However, I do have a couple of issues;

1, what wood to use, I was thinking of something like ash or beech or white oak, however cost is a bit of an issue but if i need to spend to get the job write i will, if softwood could be used and withstand the outdoors then that would obviously be better for the pocket.

2, how to make the runners. the 2 ways that i have seen are bending the wood with a steamer (which i don't have) or gluing thin strips together around a former.

could anyone advise on what wood they would suggest and which bending method to use please? if it is gluing strips what glue would you use, wood this seperate in change of temperatures, delaminate and what way would you cut the wood into strips so that they will bend ok and not crack etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any replys.

Mark

dennis wake18/10/2013 17:41:48
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles

hi Mark

firstly welcome to the forum. I think you will get a few answers to this question. I would use beach as it is a close grained hard wood. as for the bending I think you will be better of laminating it using the former that you are on about. the glue I would use is gorilla glue for external use. if I am not mistaken one of our other members has made a toboggan not long ago.

look forward to seeing your finished toboggan photos on here very soon.

dennis

Doug19/10/2013 14:02:34
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Hi Mark & welcome to the forum.

That looks like an interesting project.

If you opt for the steam bending method for the runners you will need air dried timber, Ash is easily available air dried, is quite inexpensive for a hardwood & will steam bend nicely as long as you can get some straight grain timber.

As for laminating the runners, I would suggest gluing them up with either Cascamite or an epoxy resin particularly as the runners will not only be taking some hammer but will also be getting quite damp.

Good luck with the project & as Dennis said don`t forget to post photos face 4

Cheers.

Doug.

Derek Lane19/10/2013 23:54:01
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Another welcome to the forum Mark. Looks like an interesting project. I would like to see some progress photo's if you decide to go ahead.

Cascamite was my first thought for glue. You can make a cheap steamer from a hobby style wallpaper stripper(I managed to get a complete one from a boot fair for £3).

Mark Raine21/10/2013 08:05:56
12 forum posts
3 photos

Thank you for the replys everyone, really appreciate it. I will take some photo's of progress and i think i will go with the laminate strips glued together,

Just another quick question to you all regarding gluing the strips together - How thick would you cut the strips? i was thinking around about 5mm and will these need anything doing to them to help them bend?

Thanks for your time again.

Big Al21/10/2013 16:55:49
1604 forum posts
73 photos

Hi Mark, you may struggle bending 5mm thick timber, I always plane laminations done to 3mm. Wetting them with a wet sponge first and leave them for about 10 minutes, which allows the water to penetrate the timber. It will make the timber more flexible.

Also dont use ash for your toboggan as it wont last long outside.

Al

Derek Lane21/10/2013 20:23:52
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Posted by Big Al on 21/10/2013 16:55:49:

Also dont use ash for your toboggan as it wont last long outside.

Al

The company that makes the one pictured in Marks post says it is made from Ash Just click on the picture. I should imagine that Oak or Beech would also do

Doug21/10/2013 21:42:52
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Ash whilst not being the most rot resistant timber does have other properties that make it ideal for use in making items such as a sledge indeed those same properties are the reason it was chosen to be used in the external frame work on Morris minors.

Attention does need to be given to applying adequate protection to the timber of the sledge, but for the amount of time it will be getting wet when in use, as long as it is stored in a protective environment when not in use I can`t see a problem with using Ash.

Cheers.

Doug

Derek Lane22/10/2013 22:42:10
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Found this Mark may be of some use

Edited By Derek Lane on 22/10/2013 22:44:08

Mark Raine13/01/2014 16:26:48
12 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks again for the replys,

Once my garage is tidy again i am looking at making the taboggan, hopefully before it snows!

I have the beech bought and the stainless steel runners are being made for me.

I am going to cut the 3mm strips on my bandsaw (BS250 record power, with new blade) fingers crossed that the blade doesn't try and go its own way - any tips on that one would be useful!!

Thanks again for any advice

Mark

Derek Lane13/01/2014 21:29:43
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Have a goggle for setting up bandsaws. Taking your time setting it up right and make sure you have a good blade.

A good place to look is Axminsters site and look at the instructions for bandsaws as many saws now are very similar as for good blades if you have not already got one is Tuffsaws, I use them from there and am very pleased

Mark Raine14/01/2014 08:05:25
12 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Derek,

I'll have a look at Axminster and Tuffsaws - I have actually just put a new blade on which is from Record Power, so I hope that one is up to the job. I have tried cutting some strips on a 2 foot length of 1 inch softwood and took measurements all the way down and they were all the same. I'm just building the courage up to use the 1.5 inch beech that i got last week - I don't want to ruin it, it costs too much!

A couple of you mentioned to use cascamite for gluing the strips together, does anyone know if you can get this or something similar from B&Q as i have a £10 Christmas voucher that I could use??

Thanks again

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact