setting up a teaching workshop

The Sheffield Furniture Academy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
johnnymm02/09/2013 19:55:41
2 forum posts

Hi,

New to this forum,

I am in the process of setting up a workshop for fee paying clients to be able to design and make their own furniture and sculpture. I know I need to equip the shop with the basic woodworking machinery, table saw, planer/thicknesser, band saw, pillar drill and maybe a morticer. I would welcome suggestions regarding which brands I should be looking at? A friend told me that Elektra Beckum could be worth looking into, any thoughts? John

Big Al02/09/2013 21:11:56
1596 forum posts
73 photos

Elektra beckum, or metabo as they are now known, are fairly good enough for a serious hobbyist/semi professional, but for a teaching workshop it would be inadequate.

You will need to look at sedwick at the very least, and probably 3 phase machinery at that.

Also look at capacities of the machines you are thinking off, the footprint of the machine including working space around the machine and you will also need adequate dust extraction.

Al

Mailee02/09/2013 23:08:24
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I have to agree with Big Al. I started with the Electra Beckum P/T and it was fine for hobby work but after becoming self employed I had to upgrade to one of the larger axminster thicknessers and a seperate Jet planer. Three phase is certainly the way to go as the machines can be much cheaper to buy second hand. Unfortunately I do not have three phase but some good quality light commercial machines. If the workshop is to be set up for teaching then it will also have to conform to H&S which would include good dust extraction, safety guards, working space, ETC.

johnnymm03/09/2013 09:29:46
2 forum posts

Thanks Big Al and Mailee, I doubt whether I'll be able to have three phase and I am looking to purchase either new or recent secondhand equipment. Do you have any recommendations regarding the make of machinery and where I ought to begin searching?

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact