By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cherry cabinets

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee28/08/2013 18:58:51
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I made a start on two new cabinets today and it's a new one for me as they are in Cherry. Again I used the Domino as the carcasses are in veneered board. Started the day by cutting out the pieces for each of the cabinets.
dscn3212.jpg
I then cut the rebate at the rear which will house the back panel. This will be in 18mm as it will be hung from a wall.
dscn3213.jpg
Next I attacked it with the Domino putting in the slots for the horizontal pieces.
dscn3214.jpg
There will be a small mirrored cabinet with glass shelves and this was given the same treatment with the addition of holes for the adjustable shelves.
dscn3217.jpg
With all the pieces cut I had a dry fit using some sanded Dominos to make sure I could remove them again.
dscn3215.jpg
There will be a painted door on the bottom of this unit so I cut some MDF to size for this.
dscn3216.jpg
Tomorrow I shall be lipping the edges of the panels with solid wood and adding the cornice and plinth. When this is complete I shall put a finish on the insides before assembling the unit. I will as usual keep you posted.

Mailee30/08/2013 19:46:35
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Today I got all the insides of the units in a finish and started to assemble it. I could have done with two pair of hands for this job.
dscn3220.jpg
While these were in a glue up I did some work on the book case. (I shall post that in the WIP for that item.)
later this afternoon I took them both out of the clamps ready for the mouldings, door, and the finish on the outsides.
dscn3225.jpg
This small one will have a mirrored door on the front.
dscn3224.jpg
I have applied a sealer to the outside of the units and will give them a good sanding tomorrow ready for the finish.

Wolfie31/08/2013 13:57:16
406 forum posts
76 photos

Looking good Mailee.

Mailee31/08/2013 15:37:53
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Thanks Ian. I had a half day today at work but did manage to get the mouldings on and the door in a coat of primer.
dscn3226.jpg
I am now waiting for some more lacquer but will get the door finished on Monday.

Julian02/09/2013 19:39:59
553 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Mailee -- You seem to be getting the hang of this cabinet making lark. They do look rather stunning though I must say, I think Cherry is a great wood for cabinet work. - Julian

Edited By Julian on 02/09/2013 19:40:26

Mailee02/09/2013 20:00:00
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Yes Julian, I might take it up as a living. LOL

I lipped the door for the small cabinet which will hold the mirror and then gave it a good sanding.

dscn3229.jpg
(Yes I know, it's my 'new' Festool ROS! I really am on that slippery green and white slope) LOL
I then made up the moulding to the top of the cabinet.
dscn3230.jpg
Finally I routed a finger groove in the side of the door due to it having a full mirror on the front. (Which I have just ordered)
dscn3231.jpg
When the mirror and glass shelves arrive I will have the finish on and ready to go.

Mailee03/09/2013 19:19:07
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I got the finish on the units today. I also got the door hung on the small cabinet.
dscn3235.jpg
I put a top coat on the white door and will polish it up tomorrow and hang it. just waiting for the mirror and glass now.

Mailee06/09/2013 17:57:16
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I had finished the units ready for fitting but hadn't taken any shots of the large one with the door and fittings on so here they are.

dscn3239.jpg

dscn3241.jpg

I will get some shots when they are fitted next week.

Bruce Rauncar06/09/2013 22:10:22
173 forum posts

Beautiful and well crafted cabinet and it will just look better with age on that gorgeous cherry. Excellent work!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact