By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cherry cabinets

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee28/08/2013 18:58:51
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I made a start on two new cabinets today and it's a new one for me as they are in Cherry. Again I used the Domino as the carcasses are in veneered board. Started the day by cutting out the pieces for each of the cabinets.
dscn3212.jpg
I then cut the rebate at the rear which will house the back panel. This will be in 18mm as it will be hung from a wall.
dscn3213.jpg
Next I attacked it with the Domino putting in the slots for the horizontal pieces.
dscn3214.jpg
There will be a small mirrored cabinet with glass shelves and this was given the same treatment with the addition of holes for the adjustable shelves.
dscn3217.jpg
With all the pieces cut I had a dry fit using some sanded Dominos to make sure I could remove them again.
dscn3215.jpg
There will be a painted door on the bottom of this unit so I cut some MDF to size for this.
dscn3216.jpg
Tomorrow I shall be lipping the edges of the panels with solid wood and adding the cornice and plinth. When this is complete I shall put a finish on the insides before assembling the unit. I will as usual keep you posted.

Mailee30/08/2013 19:46:35
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Today I got all the insides of the units in a finish and started to assemble it. I could have done with two pair of hands for this job.
dscn3220.jpg
While these were in a glue up I did some work on the book case. (I shall post that in the WIP for that item.)
later this afternoon I took them both out of the clamps ready for the mouldings, door, and the finish on the outsides.
dscn3225.jpg
This small one will have a mirrored door on the front.
dscn3224.jpg
I have applied a sealer to the outside of the units and will give them a good sanding tomorrow ready for the finish.

Wolfie31/08/2013 13:57:16
406 forum posts
76 photos

Looking good Mailee.

Mailee31/08/2013 15:37:53
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Thanks Ian. I had a half day today at work but did manage to get the mouldings on and the door in a coat of primer.
dscn3226.jpg
I am now waiting for some more lacquer but will get the door finished on Monday.

Julian02/09/2013 19:39:59
552 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Mailee -- You seem to be getting the hang of this cabinet making lark. They do look rather stunning though I must say, I think Cherry is a great wood for cabinet work. - Julian

Edited By Julian on 02/09/2013 19:40:26

Mailee02/09/2013 20:00:00
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Yes Julian, I might take it up as a living. LOL

I lipped the door for the small cabinet which will hold the mirror and then gave it a good sanding.

dscn3229.jpg
(Yes I know, it's my 'new' Festool ROS! I really am on that slippery green and white slope) LOL
I then made up the moulding to the top of the cabinet.
dscn3230.jpg
Finally I routed a finger groove in the side of the door due to it having a full mirror on the front. (Which I have just ordered)
dscn3231.jpg
When the mirror and glass shelves arrive I will have the finish on and ready to go.

Mailee03/09/2013 19:19:07
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I got the finish on the units today. I also got the door hung on the small cabinet.
dscn3235.jpg
I put a top coat on the white door and will polish it up tomorrow and hang it. just waiting for the mirror and glass now.

Mailee06/09/2013 17:57:16
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I had finished the units ready for fitting but hadn't taken any shots of the large one with the door and fittings on so here they are.

dscn3239.jpg

dscn3241.jpg

I will get some shots when they are fitted next week.

Bruce Rauncar06/09/2013 22:10:22
173 forum posts

Beautiful and well crafted cabinet and it will just look better with age on that gorgeous cherry. Excellent work!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact