By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Lets talk Bandsaw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
daveO22/08/2013 17:37:50
250 forum posts
32 photos

Now I have never had a band saw for some reason, dont know why thats just how its been. Recently well about a year ago some one gave me a cheapo hobby machine made by "Kinzo" no I never heard of them either, I sat it in the corner as it obviously was not man enough for anything serious, until last week and decided to start using it for small stuff related to my scrolling. I contacted Ian at tuff saws and he supplied me with a quality blade and it cut thin stuff 6mm MDF and Ply like a hot knife in butter after only about 20 smalll cuts there was a bang and the blade had snapped straight through the weld. I asked Ian if he could reweld it and he said throw it away and I'll send you a new blade (thats just his excellent customer service) but he did point out that it is rare for a blade to snap, but these very small machine are notoro=ious for it because of the small wheel size ( correct when you think about the maths and physics of the blade on a tighter radius). So after all that waffle the question is who has got a small machine (I dont have a lot of room now) that they are quite happy with, has say anyone got an 8 inch saw that never snaps blades and if so what type etc etc as I now want to upgrade

Dave

Derek Lane22/08/2013 18:20:58
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

I brought an Axminster bandsaw a little while back and it gets plenty of use. Now if it was to break down I would be lost without it.

When you say an 8" saw do you mean an cutting width or depth.

daveO22/08/2013 18:47:46
250 forum posts
32 photos

Derek Hi

by 8 innch I mean throat depth I'm working on the assumption that the deeper the throat than the larger the wheel would have to be?

incidentally since I posted Ian has sent a messge telling me he has sent out a new blade, as was previously supplied to fit a see how it goes, if it breaks it will confirm a machine problem and not a blade problem. He has also sent out another blade of which is slightly stronger and thicker, but he is not sure if this little machine will be able to handle it. A bit of a tester if you like.

Dave

Ron Davis22/08/2013 20:24:21
1614 forum posts
201 photos

Thats service, I have started using Tuffsaw blades and they are great

Ron

Julian24/08/2013 17:25:24
552 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Dave -- I use an old Record Bandsaw, they used to be sold as Burgess BK2 Mk2. I've had it for years and years and it has never broken a blade. You can see pictures of it in my photos. It's not used every day but is used quite a lot for the smaller jobs around the workshop.. I get my blades from Hamilton Beaverstock because they are only a mile up the road and again superb service. - Julian

daveO24/08/2013 18:14:26
250 forum posts
32 photos

Julian thanks for that- bit confused now, Ian suggests the small dia wheel is a problem (I dont doubt his experience) now you tell me your machine has never broke a blade, yet looking at the pics the wheels on your machine seem to be about the same dia as mine, the only difference is that you have a three whell machine and mine has two. Therefore is seems that the blade coverage on the wheel, on a three wheel machine is about 30%, as a pose to 50% o a two wheel. So does that reduce the stress,just cant get me head around the physics, (where's BillW when you need him).

Dave

Edited By daveO on 24/08/2013 18:15:58

BillW26/08/2013 12:54:42
711 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Dave,

I'm nearly always here, sorry didn't see the reference to myself.

Have a look at this post

**LINK**

It is still going strong

Regards,

Bill.

daveO26/08/2013 16:19:51
250 forum posts
32 photos

Bill

thanks for that, only on saturday I was scanning ebay and actually put the charmwood 711 to my watch list, as with the schepach hbs 20 of which to me seem to be the same machine, so I think I will make a point of physically looking at both, based on you observations on the 711.

That said the new blades from Ian have arrived and fitted the original replacment and its holding up fine a the moments even after doing a lot more work than the first blade,but I still need a new one as I am not sure about the motor on this old unit

Dave

BillW26/08/2013 18:02:00
711 forum posts
21 photos

Dave,

The Schepach looks like it has a pressed steel table, going of photos the Fox also appears to have the same table.

From my observations there seams to be three types of main frame construction.

Draper (round type), screwfix Titan, B&Q, I think they have plastic doors/covers, not sure of the main construction.

All those that look like the Charnwood are steel fabrication.

The odd one out the Schepach Basato 1 that I think is cast alloy main frame, from the Schepach you have quoted, a change of manufacture.

Just to add more confusion for you.

Bill.

MereHound26/08/2013 19:58:47
1 forum posts

I was drawn to this bandsaws by videos on YouTube on 'Bandsaw boxes'. Take a look!

I was drawn to buy an Axminster by the very good prices and qulality. It certainly sounds a lot better than some of the items already mentioned. I have gone through quite a few blades but put their demise down to my own incompetence- twice managing to jam new blades in some very resinous unseasoned softwood which i should have left alone. Using blades at various tpi and widths I still have blade problems but recently saw a YouTube 'expert' saying to use fewer tpi to tackle drift and improve accuracy of cut on curves rather than winding up the tension. And you know what - it does seem to work.

Ill give the Tuffsaw supplier a try as it is recommended above.

Ron Davis27/08/2013 19:06:11
1614 forum posts
201 photos

Hi Mere Hound, welcome to the forum.

I dont know f you can get back numbers of Good Woodworking but if you can then look up Andy King's artilce on setting up a bandsaw, it tells you all you need to know

Ron

PS I am a recnet convert to Tuffsaws as well

Derek Lane27/08/2013 19:19:51
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

Put me down as a +1 for Ian have a blade on my saw for sometime now and still going strong.

Rooster50109/09/2013 10:06:24
1 forum posts

Just wondering guys does anybody know much about axminsters older floor standing model Awefsbb it seems pretty powerful and sturdy any info would be great.

cheers in advance !!

Derek Lane09/09/2013 17:17:22
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
Posted by Rooster501 on 09/09/2013 10:06:24:

Just wondering guys does anybody know much about axminsters older floor standing model Awefsbb it seems pretty powerful and sturdy any info would be great.

cheers in advance !!

I can't tell you much about that model but I have a Axminster bandsaw and with the right blade it has been a great machine. I fitted a blade from Ian at Tuffsaws and still have not changed it yet and that has been about three months(not in use every day but still has regular use)

Mailee10/09/2013 00:03:47
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I also use Ian for all my bandsaw blades, he sure knows his stuff. I tend to wear out blades pretty quickly so have just bought a couple of the M42 (I think that is the name) bi metal ones which although more expensive are supposed to last a lot longer....so far they have.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact