By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Rosewood jewellry box

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam Smit21/08/2013 20:00:16
13 forum posts
7 photos

image.jpgSo I'm new to all this and hope the community will welcome me I never really did have the chance to take up any sort of woodwork in school or whatever but I do occasionally pull out my own projects.. This is a jewellry box I made for my wife as a wedding present this week, the body is made out of meranti (had stock from an old project) with a rosewood inlay on the top and the draws are also rosewood.

Unfortunately all I had to work with here was a hacksaw, sand paper, a dremel tool with router base and wood glue (don't posses any fancy equipment yet, perhaps some suggestions on starter equipment?). The engraving on the top says 'for the love of my life' with our wedding date at the bottom.. This is also the first box I've made

Steven22/08/2013 10:37:37
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Nice work Sam,

Welcome to the forums, I hope your new wife was suitably impressed.

Quite an achievement given your very limited tool kit, particularly if a hacksaw was all you had for cutting.

I would suggest a few more basic hand tools for your next project and you’ll well away. Perhaps start with a tenon saw if you plan to keep your projects small, a hand saw as well would be helpful, a plane, again for small work I would suggest a block plane, quite expensive but invaluable in my opinion – try to stretch to a plane with full blade adjustment as the cheap basic versions are an absolute pain to adjust and lastly for now a few bevel edge chisels. As always when buying tools don’t buy cheap as it won’t do you or your work any favours.

It’s a good thing to start with hand tools – develop those skills and gradually move on power tools.

Look forward to seeing your future projects.

Steven

Derek Lane22/08/2013 18:16:59
3218 forum posts
1004 photos

Welcome from me as well.

I agree very good concidering the tools you have.

As Steven says start with the basic hand tools and then build up from there. also never be afraid to ask questions we don't bite, No question is a silly one if you don't know better to ask than have an accident or waste an expensive piece of wood.

Sam Smit22/08/2013 20:12:26
13 forum posts
7 photos

Thank you so much for all the responses... I am currently looking at getting myself a bandsaw in the very near future, I believe that will help a considerable amount. Been experimenting with dovetails at the moment and seems like there really isn't any shortcuts available there, will be getting myself a dovetail saw and some seriously sharp chisels..

I will be having a decent amount of disposable income early next month so I will most definitely be visiting a decent hardware store soon

Got some great ideas in my mind for future projects like this and cannot wait to gt started..

Ron Davis22/08/2013 20:29:18
1614 forum posts
201 photos

Wecome Sam, to make something like that with a hacksaw takes some beating. Hacksaws are notoriusly difficult to keepmto a line and you will certainly need a woodcutting blade.

How id you do the inlaying/

Ron

Sam Smit22/08/2013 20:34:04
13 forum posts
7 photos

Yes, it was a serious mission using the hacksaw for all the cutting, not very hand friendly either.. The inlay was done by routing the shape into the box using a Dremel with router base and cutting the rosewood once again by hand and shaped with sandpaper..

Not a big engineering feat on this box at all, but will start playing with better equipment as I go along..

Simon Reeves23/08/2013 13:16:47
622 forum posts
227 photos

Welcome from me as well Sam.

Just goes to show that you don't need all the gizmos to produce something beautiful. Really well done. Interesting colour rosewood (almost like freshly cut purpleheart) - the stuff I've come across in the past is quite a bit darker and browner.

Good advice from the others ref the "starter kit". A good saw or two, a plane and chisels that hold a razor edge are all stock items that you will use and use. The main advice with these is to buy quality. Don't forget to get something to sharpen the plane and chisels properly smiley.

A small bandsaw was my first proper machine (as opposed to the usual hand power tools like a drill, sander etc). I upgraded it several years ago, as it was really just too small for what I was doing, but it's probably the one I use most. Again, buy quality, or at least, from a reputable maker so you can get spares should you need them. And buy a proper blade (keep the one that comes with the machine for cutting firewood!), Tuffsaws or Tru-cut are good.

Happy woodworking.

Simon

Sam Smit23/08/2013 18:17:19
13 forum posts
7 photos

image.jpgTalking about not having a decent tool set, today I needed some clamps, which I don't have... So I improvised...

Wolfie24/08/2013 10:27:50
406 forum posts
76 photos

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum from me also. You have made a very nice box. I am amazed that you only used basic tools to make it. I really look forward to seeing what you can produce in the future when you have some more tools! Very well done

cheers. Ian

Julian24/08/2013 17:42:46
552 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Sam - Also welcome from me, you don't say what part of the country you are in but if you are in the south-west Yandles Show is on 6th Sept in Somerset. I can remember many years ago learning to cut dovetails in school with an S&J saw a Stanley bevel edge chisel and a template made from a bit of angled aluminium. They didn't look great in those days (they still don't) but they were tight.

Sam Smit24/08/2013 20:20:33
13 forum posts
7 photos

Would like to thank everyone for all the awesome comments... Really inspires me to make more stuff

Julian, I'm from South Africa actually, so the show might be a little bit far..

I have started a new project btw http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=87094

sad sam25/08/2013 19:41:53
597 forum posts
234 photos

hi sam and welcome

i am impressed likemany of us on the forum i would not have even contemplated such a project with a HACKSAW perish the thought top marks for patiance and determination not to mention the eccellent workmanship very well done

Edited By sad sam on 25/08/2013 19:42:57

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact