By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

trailing leads

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mr.Fixit17/08/2013 21:50:50
4 forum posts

I have a pathological hatred for trailing leads,they are a danger in any workshop.All my leads are from above, they are made up from curly kettle leads with the kettle plug removed and replaced with a 13amp rubber socket they stay out of the way until needed and extent to 1 metre. however they are becoming harder to obtain but very sucessful, I have 11 around the workshop and intend to add 3 more. Why not try them.

Julian22/08/2013 13:06:19
553 forum posts
28 photos

Just be aware that the standard kettle lead (IEC Connector) is only rated at 6A so the cable may not be good enough for 13A. There is a 10A IEC Connector that is used in the better quality kettles these have a little recess between the L & N pin socket but still check the cable rating. - Julian

daveO22/08/2013 17:12:04
250 forum posts
32 photos

Yes

Julian has a valid point, the plugs are rated at 6 & 10 amp respectivley however as you have removed these you have pretyy much put that factor out of the equation.

As for the cable itself it will be 1.5mm of which is good for 19amps ( there or there abouts) however that rating is for cable clipped direct ( or flat and straight) when the cable is coiled, rolled or spiralled as yours appears to be then you could easily reduce its capacity by half say 9amp so I wouldn't want to be using anything more than 2Kw and thats with the cable fully stretched.

Just my penny worth

Dave

were you been any way Julian seems ages since we heard from you?

Mr.Fixit23/08/2013 19:37:27
4 forum posts

Thanks for the comments guys however I rarely go over anything like 2kw or even use my leads at anything like full stretch thanks Julian & Dave - Mr. Fixit ps as a hobbyist of 50 years any tips I pick are usefil no matter how old you are.

Julian24/08/2013 17:32:33
553 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Dave, Still around but don't sign in much these days. Sorry Mr. Fixit I don'y know your proper name and forgive me for teaching you to suck eggs so to speak but on a public forum I think a word of caution for those that may be unaware of cable ratings may be in order. Dave is quite correct in his comment about 1.5mm cable but again be aware that this is the maximum current that the cable is rated at before any safety factor is taken into account. -- Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact