By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Oak door trimming

Guidance sought

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bil Bo14/08/2013 20:37:34
4 forum posts
3 photos

I'm asked to fit an internal glazed oak door into an existing frame. It emerges that some of the door is oak, and much of it is Baltic softwood.

The frame opening is 82cm wide. The door is 84cm wide. Each stile is banded with a full-height 9mm thick oak strip. Inside that is a 25mm softwood strip.

It seems I need to saw off the oak strips, then saw off a >1cm strip of softwood on each side, then replace the oak strips in a way that is satisfactory both aesthetically and functionally .

Here are a couple of pics:

img_3686.jpg

and

img_3684.jpg

Bright ideas would be most welcome.....!

Edited By Bil Bo on 14/08/2013 20:44:43

Big Al14/08/2013 21:14:43
1604 forum posts
73 photos

It looks to me that you have been asked to fit an imperial size door into a metric sized frame. Before attempting to cut the door down I suggest that you measure the height of the door and measure the height of the frame.

If what I believe is true then the door frame will be approximately 60mm higher than the door. If this is the case then I would be inclined to make a new door to fit the frame, or pay a visit to either a builders merchant or howden's as they may be able to supply a door of the correct size.

You could cut down the door to say 810mm and add 5mm oak lippings, and if there is a 60mm difference in height then you could pack out the frame, but this will take quite some time and it will never look right.

Al

Doug15/08/2013 17:24:21
3415 forum posts
35 photos

I presume the door frame is the one behind the door in the first photo?

If this is the case I would consider changing the frame, it looks modern & chances are it would be easier to change that than alter what looks to be a pre-finished door.

Cheers.

Doug.

Bil Bo15/08/2013 19:35:42
4 forum posts
3 photos

'Big Al', you're quite right, in that 'this will take some time and it will never look right'.... so I'm persuaded to go down the path suggested here by 'Doug Barratt' and change the frame.

It does not seem to me to be very modern, but what do I know? This is what it looks like on the other side.....

[img_3689.jpg

....and it certainly would struggle to look appropriate with a modern clean-lined oak( -finished ) door set inside.

So, a new door frame and architrave, in european oak, to suit....

Thanks to all for helpful perspectives.

( Finally got there with image-posting . Phew! )

Edited By Bil Bo on 15/08/2013 19:56:15

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact