By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Glue for hot weather

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Cole 403/08/2013 08:07:22
1 forum posts

I am building a computer work station in ash, and due to hot weather and the length of time I need to glue all the biscuits and board edges, Ive mitered them, the glue goes off. I need about twenty minutes to apply and ten to fifteen to clamp. Any ideas? I have already tried Cascamite and that went off as well unless it was an pld stock I had.

Ron Davis03/08/2013 16:59:50
1619 forum posts
201 photos

Try a watered down coat of glue on the mating surfaces as a primer, then the wood will not absorb the moisture from the glue as quickly. Other wise wait for the weather to change, this is England after all!

Ron

Doug03/08/2013 19:45:19
3415 forum posts
35 photos

I`ve been using Titebond extend recently **LINK** & am happy with the results, though I do tend to leave glue up till it`s cooler in the evening or do it very first thing.

Simon Reeves05/08/2013 12:50:22
622 forum posts
227 photos

You could try polyurethane glue, which has a total glue up time of about 25 minutes, although it's probably overkill for a computer desk. If your cascamite is going off quickly then it's definitely old. I keep mine in its original container in a sealed plastic box with a packet of silica gel dessicant, which helps keep the moisture away. It also helps keep the polyurethane usable for a bit longer too.

Could you change your glue-up sequence to make smaller sub-assemblies?

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact