By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

When is a "Dust Collector" not a dust collector....

Should have checked with you guys on the forum first...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chad31/07/2013 14:02:50
13 forum posts
19 photos

Re organised my work shop and just received my new dust collector ready to install below my mitre saw and long bench. Advertised as dust collector, instruction manual front cover says dust collector however inside on page five first item

"Only for collecting shavings (not dust)" Oh dear..

Doug31/07/2013 18:53:24
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Hi Chad, what make & model is the extractor, my extractor is only for shavings but with a fine filter fitted it works perfectly well for collecting dust.

Chad31/07/2013 21:00:27
13 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Doug Its a SIP 01929 large can with small filter and a small Paper Bag, still can't get my head round this one as it did not perform to well with my 10" planner. I also have a SIP dust extractor, double bag type plastic collector and cloth bag above which has worked well with avariety of machines. I am sure this new one will be usefull but not what I had intended. The best one I have is an old Axminster, looks like a giant "Henry" domestic type but performs well on every machine and has a superb filter system but has a smaller hose. I also use a mini microclene air filter and will probably upgrade that or double up. i have a problem with dust as my workshop is in one end of my garage and not screened off. I regret not boxing it in when I first started. Perhaps I should build a proper workshop, make a good winter project .. food for thought.

daveO01/08/2013 17:48:19
250 forum posts
32 photos

Chad

I think the makers try and cover there backs somewhat now, and you will probably find that if you remove the paper filter bag it will perform a lott better, but the filterarion rate will drop and thus "not suitable for dust". and that were they cover themselves, by assuming that people dont fit the filter bags but expect it to filter well.

Ashort time back my extractor failed right when I had alot to get done, so in desperation I jumped in the car and went to my local machine mart, grabbed a cheap clarke unit brought it home only to find that the box clearly said "filters down to 10 microns" of which of course is useless for dust. However as the unit sits in another building, what gets past the filter would not be in the shop, so I set it up and put it to work. After a couple of hoursI thought I would see what type of mess was in the ajoing bbuilding, and was suprised to see that there was no mess at all. When I lifted the lid to look at the filter I found that the bag was well clogged with the finest dust , just proving that in fact it does filter to a better level. so as said the suppliers are covering there backs

if you get me drift

Dave

Doug01/08/2013 18:48:27
3415 forum posts
35 photos

I don`t even think SIP manufacture the extractor you`ve bought as when I googled the code you gave & looked at images I saw 4 other brand names on the same extractor, Charnwood, Scheppach,Draper & Woodstar. So as Dave says they are probably covering their backs as this is a bought in rebranded product.

Edited By Doug Barratt on 01/08/2013 18:49:21

Chad02/08/2013 17:30:51
13 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Dave & Doug you are right about these machines being everywhere. Guess they are made in China and badged for the distributor/ importer. Today and yesterday pm I have been using the planner and router table which are close to next to each other so I used this machine and what do ypu know, its full yes collected 50 lites of shavings/dust a lot more than I would have thought as I was also using another collector on the rear coupling of router table at the same time. The new SIP was located on the front of the router table and seemed to work well. So despite the Chinese covering their backs and the instructions very misleading it has worked fine and less than 100 quid. I am pleased I moved the machine around , clearly it does not suit all applications but collects a lot of chippings I don't have to sweep up. Ok go on ask me what I was making... I bought some Elm from my local guy to make a couple of small coffee tables, simple design but the timber needed planning. That did not go well as for some reason the 10" Axminster planner which has been brilliant for more than five years started to mess up the surface, judder leaving a very uneaven surface with bits /chunks cut out of it. Elm is a very hard wood, not worked much with it before so had to move back to pine to meet the deadline. Job done but need to sort out planner. The knives were tight locked so any thoughts on where I may have gone wrong or is Elm prone to this mallarky?

Ron Davis02/08/2013 18:11:51
1619 forum posts
201 photos

HI Chad, first you have had the planer five years, maybe the blades need sharpening. Elm can be a pain to work as it has interlocking grain, which makes it resistant to splitting, and this is why it was used extensivly for seats in chairs.

Dutch Elm disease was some thirty years ago and english elm is hard to get. The elm I have has been is storage for longer than that and is as hard as nails, I made som chopping boards with it and to half a millimetre at a pass to get a ecent finish.

Ron

Chad03/08/2013 09:14:21
13 forum posts
19 photos

Thanks Ron I will prepare the Elm by hand for another use. My blades are only a month old I took the decision to have a few sets professionally sharpened recently. Time flys when your having fun in the shed Its not five years old, I bought it in 2004. Interesting what you say about Elm ,must brush up more on my wood knowledge, thanks.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact