By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sedgwick vee belt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ashley Short13/07/2013 21:28:18
24 forum posts

Hi hopefully somone can help as I'm having problems with my sedgwick planer thicknessesr. When I turn the machine on it has trouble starting, I removed the panel at the back and removed the vee belt and the motor starts and runs fine even with the belt left on that drives the thicknesser feed roller. I have looked the vee belt over and it seems to be worn but would that cause the prblem of the motor not starting properly it just makes a humming sound, But with the belt removed it starts and runs fine.

I hope that somene can help as I don't have a lot of experience repairing machines.

Ashley

Derek Lane14/07/2013 14:08:38
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

Does the cutter head revolve freely when the belt is not fitted. If not then it could possibly be the bearings or something caught up in the head.

As always please remember always disconnect the machine from the mains before carring out any work( you probily do anyway) and also carefull of sharp blades

Ashley Short14/07/2013 20:35:44
24 forum posts

Hello Derek thank you for the reply.

Yes the cutterblock moves freely, I think it could be the motor that is to fault as when the vee belt is on it doesn't have enough power to move the cutter block but with the vee belt reoved it can move the thicknesser feed roller.

Ashley

Derek Lane14/07/2013 21:45:19
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

My first thought is the Capacitor is there a place you can take the motor to to have it checked out motor and capacitor that is. Or you could just bit the bullet and get a replacement capacitor as this would be relatively cheap.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact