By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

changed loyalties

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee13/07/2013 20:12:35
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Well I have given up on the Makita drill drivers after my third battery has gone down! (two Makita and one cheapo version) I have bitten the bullet and bought a De Walt Li Ion driver. It was on offer at Screwfix with two batteries for £150 so the ideal opportunity to make the change. It is a little heavier than the makita and the two batteries are only 1.3AH but this is no problem as there are two and a charge is 30 mins. Will see how i get on with this after the disappointment of the Makita which was just over one year old!

Doug14/07/2013 10:34:25
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Hope you have better luck with the DeWalt Alan.

I`m surprised the Makita let you down I`ve been using them since they first came out 6 odd years ago & have only had 1 battery die, though I think that was more to do with ingress of dust into the battery`s electronics sad

I don`t think you`re alone with having battery problems, my nephew swapped from Metabo to Bosch after similar problems to yourself. I was put off Bosch after having a new drill driver set on fire whilst using it, (though to be fair Bosch replaced it straight away) I myself swapped from Dewalt to Makita after issues with Dewalt`s batteries, so perhaps it`s just one of those things none of them are perfect.

Perhaps we`ll have to upgrade to Festool dont know face 21

Cheers.

Doug.

Derek Lane14/07/2013 14:03:29
3215 forum posts
1002 photos
Posted by Doug Barratt on 14/07/2013 10:34:25:

Doug.

You both must be earning too muchwink 2wink 2wink 2teeth 2.

Like many things you only need 1 bad one to put you off buying more.

Big Al14/07/2013 14:10:25
1596 forum posts
73 photos

The only thing that festool makes that is any good is the domino jointer.

One of the guy's that I used to work with owned a dewalt drill and impact driver set with 1.5ah 14.4v Li on batteries and they last for ages.

Al

Mailee14/07/2013 18:28:06
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Actually Derek this is the second time I have had issues with Makita. I bought a set including the drill/driver and the impact driver with three batteries and the charger and those batteries only lasted just over a year too! These were the Ni Cad versions in 12V. This is what made me go for the Li Ion system as they were reccomended to me. Strangest thing is that I have one of the old 9.6V Makita drivers and up to last year one of the original batteries was still going strong! This is a 15 year old driver too! I will have to see if I can contact Makita and lodge a complaint about the batteries as I now have two drivers that are useless without batteries.

Doug15/07/2013 16:03:20
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by Derek Lane on 14/07/2013 14:03:29:
Posted by Doug Barratt on 14/07/2013 10:34:25:

Doug.

You both must be earning too muchwink 2wink 2wink 2teeth 2.

funnily enough that`s something the good lady wife has never said to me face 1face 23

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact