By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Timber costs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
James Carne08/07/2013 20:07:26
20 forum posts

Hi

I am fairly new to woodworking and starting out making a few bits of furnitre, I am currently making a toy chest for my new born neice.

The items I have made so far are from u/s redwood from a local softwood merchant and I have been paying approx £1.20 per metre for 3 x 1 PSE.

I am unsure whether this is a good price and would be interested to know how most of you source your timber and if you can recommend any good suppliers or sawmills.

Also I was thinking about making a coffee table for my lounge and perhaps trying Oak or Maple. Would welcome your thoughts on using these woods and some idea on costs? I know this tends to be priced per cubic foot, but just wanted some ideas so I do not get ripped off!

Thank you in advance.

James

Derek Lane08/07/2013 21:34:34
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Hi Janes it may be helpful if you gave a rough area you are from so that someone might be able to point you in the right direction of suppliers and sawmills in your area.

As for prices i am not the one to help as Most of my work is from recycled wood.

James Carne08/07/2013 22:11:47
20 forum posts
Thank you Derek. I am based on suffolk essex border.
Big Al09/07/2013 07:33:46
1604 forum posts
73 photos

Hi James

When you see hardwood that is sold by the cubic foot it is usually rough sawn, so you need to bear this in mind especially if you don't have a planer. Some companies sell hardwoods by the running metre and these generally tend to be planed all round, but you will pay more for it.

Al

Simon Reeves09/07/2013 12:47:31
622 forum posts
227 photos

Hi James

If it's any help, the total timber cost for the oak kitchen table I made for my daughter was about £35. I guess a coffee table might be similar, but would obviously depend on thickness etc.

Table, unfinished

Simon

James Carne09/07/2013 13:06:03
20 forum posts

Hi Simon,

Wow that sounds reasonable? Was this direct from a sawmill and in the planks state?

I need to find a good local sawmill...

Regards

James

Simon Reeves11/07/2013 12:46:53
622 forum posts
227 photos

Hi James

Most of my hardwood comes from Hazelbury Timber (www.hazelburytimbersupplies.co.uk/) in deepest darkest Dorset. They have a huge range of air-dried timber in all kinds of shapes & sizes, and are really helpful (and very reasonably priced, as you can see). They will cut anything for you if it's not readily available. A bit far for you to travel, but finding a good local sawmill like this is probably one of the best things you could do, whether you woodwork for business or just for fun..

Simon

James Carne11/07/2013 21:19:02
20 forum posts

Thanks Simon, I will give them a call.

Mailee14/09/2013 21:49:30
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Just to give you an idea of costs, I pay £1.19 per mtr for 1 x 4" PSE softwood at my local timber merchants. As for Oak I pay £35 per cu ft for American white oak and £40 per cu ft for European oak. The hardwood prices are plus VAT and the timber is rough sawn and kiln dried. if you are making furniture Kiln dried is the one to go for...or very old air dried if you can get it. Do not buy green oak though as this will turn all your steel tools black! don't ask me how I know this. LOL.

James Carne15/09/2013 20:25:14
20 forum posts

Thanks Mailee. That gives me a good idea. I had sourced some u/s grade 3 x 1 PAR and paid £1.20 per metre.

Does the price you quoted on the softwood mean for PAR or does PSE mean sawn?

Thank you again.

James

Doug15/09/2013 20:57:04
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Hi James,

both PAR & PSE refer to planed timber.

PAR= Planed all round.

PSE = planed square edge

James Carne16/09/2013 19:15:24
20 forum posts

Mailee

I am being quoted £2 plus VAT for 4 x 1, so quite a bit more than your supplier.

Where are you based? I am on Suffolk/Essex border. Perhaps I could contact your merchant?

Regards

James

Mailee16/09/2013 21:58:26
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

My supplier is local to me James it is Bennetts timber. I am not sure if they have any other outlets, sorry.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact