By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Underslung router

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bil Bo26/06/2013 10:20:23
4 forum posts
3 photos

I'm offered a new Draper 1500w Bench Mounted Spindle Moulder (!) for under £100. Now, I recognise this is a 'router' and I would not expect it to do more, but I am attempting to gauge what it will and will not do, conveniently, and make a judgement on Value For Money.

**LINK**

I already have a 'cheapaschips' Aldi router table, and it is a darned nuisance to set up and operate. Almost anything would be better - and the Draper unit has a handy height adjustment and 5 speeds.

I cannot see provision for a 'lead-in pin', whch would be useful, for I would like to use a Microplane rotary shaper....

**LINK**

Does the team think I would be better saving my shekels and buying better? Is anything known about this product that would help my decision?

Derek Lane26/06/2013 13:17:09
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

The Microplane is for use in a drill press and hand drill as stated on the Axminster site and not for use with a router due to the higher speed. If you have a drill press I would use that but make a table which can also be used for sanding drums. To give you an idea here is mine. If I was to build it again I would make a fence for it. I place a spare piece of MDF over the top if I am drilling to save the table from damage.

Drill press sanding table

I have a set of 4 inserts to take different sized sanding drums because the table can be raised up the drum enters the box part allowing you to use the whole height of the drum. This would apply to the microplane as well.

As for the Spindle moulder remember that you will need to buy the cutter for it but with a router fitted into a table you have a larger selection of bits to buy. I would suggest you build your own table and fit a half descent router into it.

Router table

There is a fence on it since I took this photo.

Bil Bo26/06/2013 17:46:09
4 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks for the above, Derek Lane. I'll follow your guidance re the Microplane tool as I have a 'mickey mouse' bench morticer/pillar drill that will probably serve. I discovered the Draper tool has a reputation for 'spindle wobble' compared with a half-decent router, so I've decided to use the 'deep discount' opportunity I've been given to buy a Triton Router Table, which should cost me - net - under £40.

That requires me to release my 1600w Bosch router which has been trapped under a heavily-laden worktop for some time. It has several cwt ( remember them? ) of kitchen stuff, solid oak worktops and other essential stuff that 'will come in handy on day' piled on top. Provided I can get it out, and power it up, then mounting it on the Triton kit seems a good way forward.....AND I should be able to fit my jigsaw to the Triton table.

I sense some boat-buildery fettling coming up....

Derek Lane26/06/2013 20:06:51
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

Just Derek will be fine what I use works just great for me. Look forward to seeing some of your "boat-buildery fettling"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact