By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

please advise - What is SCANT timber ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Davison25/06/2013 12:35:59
9 forum posts

I am familiar with regular Pine timbers PAR which I have used to make furniture. SCANT is not the same stuff is it - type/species/quality wise is it?
You wouldn't use SCANT to make anything furniture wise would you so there must be a difference.
From the little I have seen/experienced of SCANT it seems very bowed/cupped/twisted or any combination of the 3....anything but anywhere near straight. Also the grain/fibre structure seems much knarlier and unpleasant.

So can anyone please tell me What SCANT actually is - how it is produced ???

Simon Reeves25/06/2013 12:53:31
622 forum posts
227 photos

A quick Google shows several definitions, but it looks mainly like sawn timber (that may or may not be PAR, depending on which definition you read), that you might use for studwork and similar construction jobs; usually not particularly good quality.

John Browne 224/06/2018 18:34:32
2 forum posts

When I was working in "gyppo" mills in Oregon- 1970s-'80s- "scant-sawn" referred to lumber that included a bit of the arc of the outside of the log, so that the particular board in question didn't offer a full rectangular profile (usually at one end, only), but provided enough of a bearing surface to function in most common applications (eg stud walls). I also heard the term "wane" applied to that aspect of these same sticks. ^..^

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Chris Tribe Furniture
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact