Dual curved-lid box

Intended as a wedding present - a "his 'n' hers" box in maple and sapele

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Forster 230/05/2013 07:53:56
74 forum posts
47 photos

Lid open

This is an experimental design - my first attempt at using curved lids. It's turning into a learning cuve (!) for unexpected reasons.  

Twin lids will pivot on brass rods and stand upright when open - that's the theory! I've used this method a lot (although not in a twin format) and never had any problems but this time something went wrong with drilling the pivot holes in one lid with the result that it's not a good fit. I should have plugged and redrilled the holes but - well, I guess it was the end of a long day - for some stupid reason I tried to shoot the lid edges and all that's done is ruin the fit . Loosening the pivot holes to allow the lid to twist into line just made things worse (obvioulsy!!) - you can tell it really was the end of a long day! So it looks like I'm going to get some more practice at forming the curves when I make the replacement lid! The outside curve is formed with a hand-plane - no mystery there! The inside curve was the new bit for me. Having rough-cut it at the bandsaw, I tried a half-round surform with no success at all, got on much better with a Microplane round file and - right at the end - realised what I should have done in the first place: used the end of the static belt sander. It worked very nicely and I'll do that first on the new one! Well, it's all good learning and if someone else here can benefit that will make it worth the frustration.

Lid closed

Edited By Michael Forster 2 on 30/05/2013 07:54:30

Edited By Michael Forster 2 on 30/05/2013 07:57:25

David Keast30/05/2013 08:43:44
13 forum posts

Lovely job ! Shame about the hinge problem, that's the trouble with pushing on when tired. I've done something similar all too often.

Interesting comments about the inside curves. I've had the same experience and used the end of the static belt sander too. Another tool that worked for me is a sanding gadget made up of flaps of sandpaper mounted on a spindle in the power drill. Not sure what they are called in english... They can be useful for detail touch ups where the bench sander is a bit big and clumsy.

Simon Reeves30/05/2013 12:55:08
622 forum posts
227 photos

Great job again Michael, particularly as the lid is solid timber rather than a series of veneers glued together, which would be another way of getting the shape. A bobbin sander would work too, unless the lid is too tall.

Simon

Michael Forster 230/05/2013 14:49:38
74 forum posts
47 photos

Thanks for the comments, guys. Yes, I've got the Bobbin sander on standby - might try it when I make the replacement lid. My trouble is that I'm an old-school hand-tool dinosaur and while I use machines I'm not very comfortable with them - especially sanders. I've decided now that I'm going to prep some timber and just spend a few hours practising on the machines - then when I get one right I'll fit it!!

Edited By Michael Forster 2 on 30/05/2013 14:51:43

Michael Forster 231/05/2013 11:42:57
74 forum posts
47 photos

Got down to the workshop this morning and finished off the other lid - glad to say it's much more creditable. Now to remake the first one - which I wouldn't have had to do if I hadn't pressed on when I was cream crackered!

Left-hand lid fitted - this is much more satisfactory

Michael Forster 231/05/2013 11:45:21
74 forum posts
47 photos

I shaped the second lid entirely at the disc/belt sander. I'm going to hand-plane the top surface before sanding to ensure that there are no scratches, but it really took the backache out of the roughing out process.

The underside still needs a bit more shaping, but is essentially there.

Stands open nicely - now for the remake of the first one!

Derek Lane31/05/2013 13:55:20
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Great job so far Michael. I like the idea of the his and hers, Great job on the dovetails were they hand cut or done on a jig, also how did you fix the centre devider.

Hope you managed to get the grain to match across the lid as you had to remake one.

Michael Forster 231/05/2013 14:32:29
74 forum posts
47 photos

Thanks, Derek,

dovetails ar entirely hand cut and assembled straight from the saw with no trial fit. The centre divider is simply housed into grooves cut with a hand-held electric router.

im afrai the grain match is now in the lap of the gods - just glad to have rescued it!!

michaelll

Mailee31/05/2013 20:42:49
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

Very nice box Michael, not an easy build but you have acheived a very good result.

Michael Forster 201/06/2013 16:00:17
74 forum posts
47 photos

Replacement lid is I think a more worthy component than its predecessor - still a bit of work to do on the curvatures but they fit and the pivots work - so this is one slightly happier bunny!

sam_1910.jpg

Derek Lane01/06/2013 18:28:48
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Glad you managed to sort the lid out Michael, and the grain match does not look to bad.

Michael Forster 201/06/2013 23:37:29
74 forum posts
47 photos

Clean-up time tomorrow - a sharp plane to cut back below the gauge lines on the dovetails, 3 grades of abrasive paper and then it's into the finishing room (i.e. the lounge) and after all that's done I can fit the lids and start on the interior.

Wolfie02/06/2013 14:41:02
406 forum posts
76 photos

Great job Michael, I love contrasting woods. You took on a difficult task and have got great results for your efforts. Well done

Cheers. Ian

Michael Forster 202/06/2013 14:53:40
74 forum posts
47 photos

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I could now fit the lids and am itching to do so - but they absolutely must wait until they and the carcase are fully finished or it'll end up looking really shoddy. So I'm handing it over to Woman With Sensitive Touch while I do some long overdue fitting out work in the machine shop. Bor-RING but sadly necessary.

Oddjob04/06/2013 09:31:02
1635 forum posts
79 photos

That is one gorgeous looking box. Looking forward to seeing it polished.

Richard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact