By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Mortise and Tenon jig

Are these really any good?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Danny Cooley19/05/2013 03:05:11
4 forum posts

HHello am thinking of getting something like this

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/MT_JIG_EURO/4/186/mortise_and_tenon_jig_euro_(metric).html

Was wondering if anybody uses one and if so, are they really any good. I'm assuming that as it's from Trend, it will be a pretty decent bit of kit.

For the record, I'm from a designer-architect background so don't have the kind of experience a tradesmen would have. Though I've done up my own flat (and various other domestic fit out jobs) and can tackle general DIY stuff.

I'm thinking of making a load of window frames (probably 11) with mortise and tenon joints. I guess there are a dozen ways off making mortises and tenons, but don't feel comfortable making them to the accuracy require by hand so to speak.

Cheers

Danny

Big Al19/05/2013 08:11:27
1596 forum posts
73 photos

Hi Danny

I owned one of these jigs a few years ago, and it worked well. There are a couple of reason's that I no longer have it. Firstly the length of the tenon is limited to the maximum plunge depth of the router that your using. Although the jig has a maximum capacity of 50mm thickness by 140mm height, in practice I found that the jig is more suited to smaller sections of wood, like cabinet face frames and chair making.

That said the jig is very easy to set up and use.

Al

Edited By Big Al on 19/05/2013 08:11:50

Keith Smith20/05/2013 08:36:52
83 forum posts
5 articles

Although these jigs do make very accurate joints as Al says they are more suited for furniture. The big problem trying to use them for windows is cutting joints around all the rebates you inevitably have to create where this sort of jig would be useless. There is no easy option but to cut them by hand I'm afraid unless you know someone with an industrial sized spindle moulder and the tooling to suit your window design.

However there is a way you can make windows and frames without cutting complicated joints and that is to laminate them.

Danny Cooley26/05/2013 20:58:11
4 forum posts

Hello the windows are actually for a canal boat, that I'm getting built. The shell is beng fabricated by a canal boat builder, who will also fit the engine. I will then be doing the fit out. So to some extent I have a bit of 'freedom' with the design of the windows. These can be fairly 'chunky' frames and normally, the mortise and tenon joints are just to give the outer frame a good strong bond/ joint.

Point taken about the rebates. Haven't finalised the design yet, but am hoping the rebates will be sufficiently distanced away from the outer edge of the frames so that there is enough 'full thickness' timber left to provide for a mortise and tenon, without the joint 'clashing' with the rebate.

Hope that makes sense.

not got the jig yet, thought I'd start with just a bit of the Varijig track system and play around with that a bit before I get too adventurous and start making some windows.

cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact