By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Jewellery Box in ash and pad auk

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Forster 216/05/2013 07:56:32
74 forum posts
47 photos

Jewellery box showing all three layers

This was commissioned by a client as a wedding present for her daughter (what she gave her son in law I have no idea!) The tray is designed to let chains and pendants be stretched out, and the main compartment includes a couple of removable ring racks. The lining is in purple suede.

sam_1546.jpg

Simon Reeves16/05/2013 12:54:10
622 forum posts
227 photos

Lovely work Michael. I especially like the dovetails at the front. How have you hinged the lid? I've done a couple of small pen boxes in beech and padauk with similar lids, but I just used small diameter brass rod, fixed into the lid but free floating in blind holes in the side cheeks.

Simon

Michael Forster 216/05/2013 16:43:40
74 forum posts
47 photos

Thanks, Simon. I usually hinge lids by the method you describe. In this case, the holes aren't blind but are drilled right through and plugged later. The reason for that is that I find it can take a bit of trial and error to get the fit of the lid just right, holding it open at the best angle. With blind holes, of course, the lid has to assembled as part of the box so every trial fit means assembling and disassembling the box, and with dovetail joints that's really not a good idea. Bringing the holes right through means I can assemble and glue up the carcase without trial fits, and then play around with the lid later. I plugged the holes with hand-cut dowels from scrap padouk which are quite unobtrusive.

Derek Lane16/05/2013 17:08:27
3219 forum posts
1004 photos

Very nice I like the clean lines of this box. I can imagine that this will be well recieved

Wolfie16/05/2013 18:26:30
406 forum posts
76 photos

Lovely job Michael, love the contrasting wood.I am sure your client is thrilled. Congratulations

Ian

Bruce Rauncar22/05/2013 21:26:41
173 forum posts

Beautiful and well crafted jewelry box! Like the clean lines, contrasting woods and especially the perfect dovetails. Great idea on the removable racks. The violet suede adds elegance. Great job!

Michael Forster 217/06/2013 05:48:06
74 forum posts
47 photos

Just heard from Mark Cass at The Woodworker that he's starting to prepare my article on this for inclusion in the next issue - so I guess that will be the one that comes out toward the end of July.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact