By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Trend t5

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ashley Short07/04/2013 12:46:44
24 forum posts

Hi i own a trend t5 router and just recently it as been getting quite hot when in use has any one got this router and do they have the same problem. I have owned it for about 4 years but it hasn't been used a great deal in that time. Could there be something wrong or am I just worrying over nothing.

Ashley

Simon Reeves07/04/2013 16:17:34
622 forum posts
227 photos

I have had this router too, for several years (more than your 4), and don't have any problems with it overheating. Have you given it a good cleaning? Preferably a blow through with a compressed air line? If you don't have one, your local garage should be able to oblige. If it's clean, it could be a bearing, or it might need new brushes (although you would probably have sparks and possibly intermittent or noisy running as well).

Does it struggle at all when cutting? If so, check your cutters are properly sharpened. I've had mine stall a couple of times when routing hard timber like oak, but it's always been down to a combination of me pushing a bit too quickly and a slightly blunt cutter. Nowadays I try to give mine a quick once over with a diamond hone before I put them away, just to save having to remember to do it before I use them next time! HTH.

Simon

Big Al07/04/2013 18:07:27
1596 forum posts
73 photos

I too have a T5, I bought it 7 years ago as an ex demo model. The only time it got hot was were the spindle comes out of the body through a bearing near the base, and was rectified by cleaning and lubricating the bearing.

Al

Ashley Short07/04/2013 20:40:28
24 forum posts

Thanks for the replies when in use it seems to work fine it just gets hot there are no sparks or noisy running, I will try to clean it out and see if that helps. Any other ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix it would be appreciated.

Ashley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact