By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Needing ideas

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gerrybhoy01/04/2013 14:41:38
104 forum posts
55 photos

Having been away from the lathe for an extended time, I've got a stockpile of wood and need ideas what to turn. Most of it is Yew in various sizes, a fair amount of Birch & a few blanks of Sycamore. Along with that I've a small amount of Cherry, Laburnum & Sapele all in smaller blanks/spindles. Any ideas to get some practice in before I start for real again would be appreciated. Gerry

Les Hetherington01/04/2013 18:05:36
145 forum posts
53 photos

Youy could do a few pot pourri if you have the metal inserts Gerry, or just do a few small coin bowls to get back in to turning mate. All the best Les

Gerrybhoy01/04/2013 21:19:12
104 forum posts
55 photos

Thanks Les. Don't have any inserts but I'm thinking coin bowls are a good idea. Cheers mate. Gerry

Simon Reeves03/04/2013 16:19:45
622 forum posts
227 photos

Depends on how confident you're feeling and how well mended you are now, but if you have some small spindles, how about something small but challenging, like lace bobbins? You could also have a go at some pens. For something simple, Yew makes good looking light pulls and tea light holders. How about some small boxes, with or without lids using the same/different timbers?

I've also seen a really simple stem/specimen vase made from Laburnum (basically just a pleasing shape with a hole down the middle). The point of it was that the finish was second to none, supposedly straight off the lathe, but you could hardly see any tool marks.

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact