By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sander problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Muskoka man24/03/2013 23:22:31
5 forum posts

I have a 9" disc/6" belt sander which has started to play up when switching on or off. I just wondered if anyone here has seen this before.

Basically when you switch it on it runs for a few seconds then stops and starts again by itself. It makes a sort of clicking noise when this happens but it doesn't sound like it is coming from the switch. When you go to switch off it stops when you press the button but unless you hold it in for a bit the machine starts up again. I was going to buy a new switch but I am not sure if that is the problem. Do these things have a relay somewhere?

Big Al25/03/2013 07:21:50
1593 forum posts
73 photos

It sounds like your motor bushes have worn out, easy enough to replace.

Al

daveO25/03/2013 15:15:52
250 forum posts
32 photos

my first point of call would be to open up the switch and give it a good clean out

I assume it is an NVR switch and they can easily clog up

if that fails and if you are confident enough I would wire out the switch so that the machine operates directly from the wall socket if that works ok then replace the switch

Dave

Derek Lane25/03/2013 17:51:53
3206 forum posts
990 photos
Posted by daveO on 25/03/2013 15:15:52:

my first point of call would be to open up the switch and give it a good clean out

I assume it is an NVR switch and they can easily clog up

if that fails and if you are confident enough I would wire out the switch so that the machine operates directly from the wall socket if that works ok then replace the switch

Dave

I would go with what Daveo says first while you are at it and if you have a compressor blow out the whole machine, do this outside(not when the missus has the washing out) and also wearing the appropriate saftey wear.

Muskoka man25/03/2013 23:24:31
5 forum posts

Thanks for the advice gents, I'll give your suggestions a go.

John Kinch26/03/2013 13:47:59
206 forum posts
91 photos

I would check the motor brushes first, they could be wearing down and sticking in the slides.

j. Kinch

Julian26/03/2013 21:00:22
547 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Dave -- Just be very careful bypassing the switch, it's a very dangerous thing to do. Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact