By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

best buy- Rec Power bandsaw - Premium 10" or Standard 12"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Davison13/03/2013 18:24:47
9 forum posts

Can i pose this one to the woodworking thinktank please? (title says it all pretty much)

In the market for a small scale bandsaw (yet quality and accuracy are an important factor). I am swaying toward Record Power at the moment....though this is not yet set in stone pending any solid reccomendations otherwise.
So at the moment my question to you is......Would buying the PREMIUM 10" bandsaw @ £240 be a better buy than the STANDARD 12" model @ £370 ?

From this you get the idea what i require and the budget im working with. There is also a Metabo BAS317 in Screwfix for £430 which as a member of staff I could get for £345. And there is also an Axminster "hobby" model at my top top end of £399.

Regards,
Chris.

Barry Lowis13/03/2013 18:49:23
1 forum posts

It will be interesting to see the responces Chris as I am in just the same position as you.

regards Barry

Ron Davis13/03/2013 19:27:32
1608 forum posts
201 photos

I have the Metabo 317 and it has served me well, just dont use their blades, go to Tuffsaws!

Of the two Record, go for the bigger one as spare capacity is never wasted, and you will curse when the smaller one will not do.

What ever you get it will only cut well if it is setup correctly, see Andy Kings article in the GW a couple of months ago.

Ron

Derek Lane13/03/2013 21:13:46
3206 forum posts
990 photos

I brought a Axminster bandsaw the AWHBS310N which is not much different from the axminster one you have looked at. I have been very pleased with it.

Which ever bandsaw you go for the most inportant thing is to make sure it is set up correctly and as Ron says replace the blade with one from Tuffsaws.

Again as Ron has mentioned the bigger you can get the better.

Hopefully others will come along with coments on their thoughts

Simon Reeves14/03/2013 13:08:24
622 forum posts
227 photos

Good advice from Ron and Derek - I echo all their comments. The Record saws you mention are quite different from one another, but I have to say that bigger is definitely better. Not only do you get a deeper throat and much larger depth of cut, the bigger machines also support wider blades, which means you can do a lot more with them, such as resawing. For the Record ones, the 12" has a more powerful motor and a bigger extraction port - all things to bear in mind before you buy. I know it's more expensive, but if you're looking to spend £400 I would think it's almost a no-brainer smile.

If you can get to one of the woodworking shows (such as Yandles, which is coming up soon), they almost always have bargains to be had. I bought my Basato 3 for just over £300 a few years ago at Yandles, when the full price was £399. The new price now, on offer, is about £450

Simon

Big Al14/03/2013 13:26:16
1593 forum posts
73 photos

I agree with simon, I bought my SIP 14" bandsaw at yandles during one of their shows, I paid the same money as usual for the saw, but gained the cabinet for free, which at the time was worth about £60.

When buying tool's and machinery alway's buy the best that you can afford, you will never regret it, even if it take's you a bit longer to get what you want.

Al

Chris Davison14/03/2013 17:29:17
9 forum posts

Thanks guys, some sold comments there.

The thing with the Record's is that i was reading the 'buyers guide/product guide' on their website and going through all the components of a bandsaw their statements generally begin with (in regard to the motors, the wheels, the table etc) "On all our premium models this is great, that is is great, yadda yadda yadda......". OK thats great but what about your non-premium models??? are they made from shoddy components??

The Premium 12" and the standard 14" are out of my budget right now.......hence the question is the premium 10 better than the standard 12?

What when and where is this Yandles you refer to? Ive just been to Harrogate last thursday for the Builders/Electricians Tool Show. I picked up a Metabo SCMS KMS254m which i got for £200 which i was well pleased with (good deal).....but then the Hitachi stall couldnt really do a deal better than i hadnt already found elsewhere.

Furthermore, Charnwood came to my attention regarding their bandsaws which look pretty good via their website. So the 10" @ £189 or the 12" @ £389 if i wanna convince myself to spend at the top end. Any comments on Charnwood?

Paul Bodiam14/03/2013 17:34:11
101 forum posts
45 photos

http://www.yandles.co.uk/content2.php/page/yandles%20spring%20show

They are in Somerset

Simon Reeves15/03/2013 12:54:47
622 forum posts
227 photos

Depends on where you are in the country, but Yandles has people travelling from all over the place to get there, including Wales!. I've been to a few shows in different parts of the country over the years, but IMHO, this is one of the best, especially as it's free. The catering ladies also do some fantastic artery hardening cakes that are great with a hot coffee on a cold morning!

Simon

Julian16/03/2013 12:46:54
547 forum posts
28 photos

Yes -- Including Wales. I shall be there on friday, already booked the day off work.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact