By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

small workshop compressor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Davison07/03/2013 21:21:12
9 forum posts

Hi all.

Im thinking about getting a compressor for my workshop. Never had one before and know nothing about them.
I am wanting to use an 18g 15-50mm brad nailer, an air blower, and if possible a sprayer.
I am talking about small scale projects....I am not re-spraying cars all day or anything like that.

Been looking in the M/Mart, Axminster catalogues etc at the entry level 25lt compressors around £100. Would this be sufficient?

I dont know what any of the specifications mean or whats good or not....nor which brands are favourable.

Can anybody offer me any guidance?

Thank you.

Big Al08/03/2013 07:13:15
1593 forum posts
73 photos

I have got a 1.5 hp 25 litre compressor that I use for nailing and air blowing and it is great for my needs. I have tried spraying with it and although short burst's are all right, I wouldn't spray anything big as it wouldn't keep up.

Al

daveO08/03/2013 11:04:39
250 forum posts
32 photos

Chris

I used to have a machine similar in size to the ones you have looked at , until it packed up but that was due to me totally over working it. So yes that size would do for nailing etc but as Al says spraying is a different matter, for that I would be looking for a least a 100 litre tank.

The only point I will make is that most of these smaller machine tend to be oil-free and make an awful noise when running, so I would be looking for an oill filled , belt driven machine if its within budget

Dave

Simon Reeves08/03/2013 13:00:13
622 forum posts
227 photos

Chris

I've got an older Axminster oil free 100l compressor that I use like Al, for nailing, air blowing etc. Even with a larger reservoir, it empties quite quickly, so what you buy really depends on whether you mind it switching on relatively frequently or not, if you are doing lots of nailing. As Dave says, they are not the quietest things.

You also need to look at how much air it can produce, and at what pressure. At the risk of stating the obvious, it needs to at least be capable of supplying your nailer. As an example, the Axminster 18g brad nailer requires 60-95 psi, at 4.5 cubic feet/minute; not all the smaller compressors would meet this properly, so check before you buy.

There are a couple of thing that are worth investing in when you buy the tool(s) - a inline oiler (plus oil!)and some swivel fittings for the coupling between the airline and the tool, which just makes using it slightly more comfortable IMHO. All in Axminster's catalogue and pretty cheap.

Simon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact