By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Small benchtop bandsaws

Best in class

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Shercliff25/02/2013 16:25:49
25 forum posts

Gentlemen,

Three years ago many colleagues gave me exceptionally fine advice on bringing an old Record three wheel bandsaw back to life. I was, and still am, most grateful as it led to much trouble free use.

Sadly, the motor has now packed up, and I wish to replace it. I use it for fine and accurate work associated with antique furniture restoration, and would like a machine pretty near the top of the range (without being daft over the price).

Could anyone please advise?

Robin S

Simon Reeves26/02/2013 12:55:32
622 forum posts
227 photos

Is there no chance of replacing the motor itself?

Simon

Robin Shercliff26/02/2013 17:23:18
25 forum posts

Simon,

Thank you so much for your response. The old three wheeler was a gift, so well worth persevering with. I'm aware of the disadvantages of three wheels versus two, so now want to take the opportunity to, in effect, upgrade. That's the reason for not pursueing a repair. The blade broke too.

Thank you

Robin S

Derek Lane26/02/2013 18:39:36
3206 forum posts
990 photos

Hi Robin I brought an Axminster bandsaw (not bench mounted) and have been very pleased with it so far. You probily know this already but whatever bandsaw you go for throw away the blade and buy a decent one.

Robin Shercliff26/02/2013 19:12:15
25 forum posts

Thank you Derek, good of you to come up. I have the Axminster catalogue, could you tell me which one please?

My main floor mounted bandsaw is an Electra Beckum; one of the last to be made in Germany before they out sourced to China.

Re blades; thank you. I've read that in other threads too,and will certainly heed your advice.

Thank you

Robin S

Derek Lane26/02/2013 20:14:06
3206 forum posts
990 photos

I have the AWHBS310 Bandsaw which I don't think they sell now but I think they are all sourced from the same place.

I also have a Axminster mini lathe which I recently needed parts for and they were very quick respond and get the parts to me once I placed the order.

This type of service is what you need when buying tools.

As for blades I replaced mine with some from Ian At Tuffsaws very helpful on the phone when I asked for information on which blade to get and also very quick turn around.

I have nothing to do with either company except being a happy customer.

Ron Davis26/02/2013 20:49:31
1608 forum posts
201 photos

Tuff Sawsare great, try the varitooth design.

Ron

Robin Shercliff27/02/2013 12:32:23
25 forum posts

Thank you Ron.

Derek, I too have been happy with Axminster for many years.

Re small bandsaws, they just do the two and difficult to tell which is the better (apart from price). I am really hoping to get a recommendation for one of the many I guess are generally available, new or second hand.

Robin S

Simon Reeves27/02/2013 13:00:30
622 forum posts
227 photos

If you're not too fussy about a particular make, then the Basato range (from NMA Agencies) are pretty good, and are quite widely available. Like Derek, I used to have the small benchtop Axminster bandsaw (sorry - I forget the number), but I found it just became too small and underpowered for what I was doing, so I upgraded it to a Basato 3 at one of the woodworking shows several years ago. I chose this one mainly because it's variable speed, which is quite handy.

I think it all comes down to what you will be doing, which in your case looks like fine work requiring a smaller machine, so the Basato 1 might suffice, or the Axminster JWBS-9, which has a slightly smaller cutting depth.

As everyone else has said, whichever one you go for, keep the old blade for cutting firewood and get a decent one from suppliers like Tuffsaws or Tru-cut for the real work!

Simon

BillW27/02/2013 13:31:16
711 forum posts
21 photos

Hello Robin,

I have recently bought a benchtop bandsaw as a second saw, I have an Electra Beckum BAS 315 and wanted a small saw for use in my cellar workshop. I did a lot of on-line searching before deciding on a Charnwood W711 watch the video, it really does cut as shown.

The bad points, the table insert has to have a bit cut out of the back, it interferes with the blade, the underside of the insert was a disgrace, it had been filed to fit and super glued in, I fixed this by placing cling film in the aperture then laying a bead of epoxy on the insert before pressing it down with a piece of wood to make it level, of course it will be removable because it is sat on cling film.

The bottom blade guide would only just move back enough for the side guides to miss the blades teeth, the side guides are steel pins I made new pins out of some plastic I have that was designed for making bearings.

The fence is reasonable, the mitre guide is a bit flimsy.

I use Tuffsaw on my BAS315 and have bought two blades for future use on this saw, the blade that came with it is surprisingly good but a bit aggressive.

It has a cast aluminium table.

I have stalled it twice, once cutting freehand (playing) tight curves and a piece of wood that was not flat on the bottom.

As has been stated they are all pretty much the same in this class, each supplier specifies their own spec/price, some may have roller bearing guides, some have pressed steel tables.

All in all I am pleasantly surprised with it.

Regards,

Bill.

p1000396.jpg

Derek Lane27/02/2013 16:04:24
3206 forum posts
990 photos

Robin I said that model was not available but looking on the site it is still there sorry for miss leading you.But it is still quite a large machine and not what I would call a bench top one

Robin Shercliff28/02/2013 18:12:34
25 forum posts

Simon,

Thank you for yours, most helpful. It seems so far to be reducing to Basato 1 versus Axminster's JET JWBS-9. I'm still hoping for a definite. (Have just read a couple of dispiriting criticisms of the Basato 1, which may of course be because the users didn't put in a decent blade.)

Robin S

Robin Shercliff28/02/2013 18:18:11
25 forum posts

Derek,

Thanks, yes I'm content with my main Electra Beckum BAS 315; it's the tiddler I now need.

Robin S

Robin Shercliff28/02/2013 18:21:15
25 forum posts

Bill,

In view of your criticism of the Charnwood W711, what do you thing of the W715?

Robin S

BillW28/02/2013 19:53:10
711 forum posts
21 photos

Hello Robin,

In away my comments were honest observations of what are quite minor but inexcusable faults that are easily put right, for the use I have bought it for I am happy with it.

I wonder if you have misread my post, I have the same large bandsaw as you (Electra Beckum BAS 315) so have no experience of the W715.

I was tempted buy the Basarto1 but like you I had read some bad reports on the internet, I had to take a step back and ask myself what I wanted it for considering I have the BAS315 for larger and more accurate use.

Good luck with your decision.

Bill.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact