By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

GMC Power Tools (and MacAllister too actually)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Davison17/02/2013 17:57:20
9 forum posts
G'day y'all.
Does anybody know anything about the GMC brand of power tools (the only place ive seen them is in the ToolStation catalogue). In particular the 250mm sliding mitre saw?

I am currently in the market for a sliding mitre saw for my small personal workshop, but i dont know if i should get/need to get a double bevel or just a single bevel?

Ive had my eye on Hitachi 216mm and a Metabo 216mm at the top end of my budget at £250 mark. But then I have seen the GMC model in Toolstation which will bevel both left and right for £195. Also seen a MacAllister model in B&Q which is a double bevel also under £200. But i dont really know anything of these brands?

Are they solid and accurate?
Comments and opinions welcome. Thank you.

Derek Lane17/02/2013 20:45:43
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

Personally I would go for the Hitachi or Metabo models, as the parts will be easier to get hold of if you need any also they are a better build quality.

Big Al18/02/2013 07:56:25
1596 forum posts
73 photos

When I first started to buy machines I bought machines from the bottom end of the market, my first table saw was made by clarke. It lasted six month's, the motor spindle broke. It was replaced under guarantee, and the second one lasted 7 month's, again the same fault. I then bought a delta saw, paid a little bit more for it and it lasted 2 years.

At this point I thought ball's to the cheaper machine's and bought an elektra beckum pk200 table saw with all the attachment's ( elektra beckum then became metabo). I sold the saw after 3 year's as I bought a bigger and more powerful saw which is still going well 7 year's later.

I also had similar problem's with chop saw's, and now own a hitachi. It's only a chop saw and only a single bevel, but it is accurate, and it was accurate straight from the box and it the 8 year's that I have owned it I have never adjusted it.

You get what you pay for, especially with tool's and machinery, buy cheap and you may regret your purchase and end up buying the more expensive model later on.

Al

Simon Reeves18/02/2013 12:50:36
622 forum posts
227 photos

Good advice from Al - buy quality and you won't usually regret it after a few months. Like most people, I've bought stuff from the DIY sheds, both under their own brand (e.g. Performance Pro) and at the DIY end of the market, such as B&D. I've also had (and still do have) some of the bigger machines from Axminster, but it's not until you get your hands on one of the better brands like Metabo, Hitach, Makita, DeWalt et al that you realise just how MUCH better they usually are.

Simon

Ron Davis18/02/2013 19:11:21
1613 forum posts
201 photos

I would agree with the above, having had some similar experiences in the past. But I do have a Power Devil sliding cross cut saw, bought for me nearly elven years ago as a retirement present. Last year I bough a Makita Chop saw which is great, at the same time I took the blade from the cheapo to see if i could get a replacement, I put the blade on the counter and before I could speak thwe assistant said "You want that sharpened?" It cost me £13 for this and it cuts as well as ever. This is all I have spent on it since new.Ron

Alan Needham 114/08/2013 11:25:00
3 forum posts

Hi Chris I would'nt buy the GMC or the Macallister range of tools if the break down the parts are hard to get,when my Macallister chop saw broke I was told that these products were ment as throw away items so you would be better to spend a little more and get quality

Oddjob14/08/2013 14:56:18
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Posted by Big Al on 18/02/2013 07:56:25:

You get what you pay for, especially with tool's and machinery, buy cheap and you may regret your purchase and end up buying the more expensive model later on.

There is no better advice than this. Cheap tools are rarely accurate out of the box and setting them up is not a task for a beginner. Many would be woodworkers have fallen by the wayside because they though they couldn't do it well enough when the truth was that neither could a professional with the cheap kit they were using.

Richard

Edited By Oddjob on 14/08/2013 14:57:28

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact