By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New Home Made Tool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carl Longden24/01/2013 14:55:31
60 forum posts
84 photos

Hi all, I got together with my mate an decided to have a go at making a new tool. Requirements were that it had to accomodate interchangeable cutting and scraping tips. My mate who is an engineer suggested 2 barrels, one which could take old router bits and the other which would take 5mm square HSS metal lathe tool blanks which can then be sharpened and profiled to suit. Bothe types of cutting heads are to be retained in place by 2 grub screws. Here's the first complete with my 1st go at making a handle. This one is for standard shafted router bits.

img_0452.jpg

Les Hetherington24/01/2013 17:25:09
145 forum posts
53 photos

To turn something with a tool that you have also made your self will give you a great feeling, well done Carl. let us know how you get on with it. Les

Eugene Anderson26/01/2013 16:27:20
47 forum posts
21 photos

Can you do a close-up of the tip?

Andy

Carl Longden27/01/2013 22:15:39
60 forum posts
84 photos

img_0512.jpg

Here you go Eugene, due to the location of the cutting edge this router bit is really only good for the inside of bowls and hollow forms, it is really only the lower edge that is used due to the bowl rotating, when this is blunt turn/twist the handle 180 degrees and the other edge becomes available. I can mount a huge selection of router bits in this one handle and shaft.

img_0513.jpg

Eugene Anderson28/01/2013 17:29:32
47 forum posts
21 photos

That is a brilliant idea Carl, they can be sharpened with a little diamond hone and there are bundles of these available (ebay) in a variety of shapes, the round one would be useful, and for not a lot of money and so very replaceable, no reason why it couldn't be used on the outside for detail work.

Could you show us the other when it's done?

Andy

Carl Longden28/01/2013 20:40:02
60 forum posts
84 photos

yep of course, I've just got to turn and put the handle on.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact