By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

music box

plans

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
newby21/01/2013 14:15:49
10 forum posts

Dear All

Does anyone have plans for a music box. I have the mechanism but I am unsure how to fit it so that it switches unobtrusively.

Derek Lane21/01/2013 18:01:37
3204 forum posts
990 photos

Can you put a photo up of the mechanism to give us an idea. Most times it is a case of making a box of the appropriate size it is just the design of the mechanism that will need some thought.

By the way welcome

newby22/01/2013 17:00:16
10 forum posts

Sorry Derek but I am having trouble uploading. I went to create an album, browsed to select pictures, clicked upload but album remains empty. ??

Derek Lane22/01/2013 18:28:09
3204 forum posts
990 photos

I will do a quick run through and see is it helps.

First thing is you will need to be logged in.

On the left look at "My Account" and click on My Photos"

Now click on "Create a photo album"

Give your album a title and tick the public box at the bottom.

below this click on "Create album"

another page should appear click on the top "Browse"

you should have a page come up from your computer find the photo from your computer and open a description or file name should appear in the space next to browse.

You can do this up to a maximum of 5 times

Now click "upload"

you should now see your pictures one above each other if you want you can give them a title and description. scroll down to the bottom and press save.

When you want to add a picture to a post click on post a reply put in the text as you did before then click on the little camera icon you should get a box with three columns the left is the album name , the middle is the photo name or file number of the photo and the third is a picture of the selected photo when you click on it.

When you are happy you have got the right photo click "OK"

hope this makes sense

I know it sound long winded but it does not take that long once you have done it a couple of times.

George Arnold22/01/2013 20:47:19
1834 forum posts
191 photos

image-1.jpgNewby

Here are acouple of photos of a music box I made several years ago, the box holds eight movementsimage.jpg each one is turned on or of by twisting the knobs, there is a thin rod that allows the movement to start or stops the movement by stopping the rotating gear.

Edited By George Arnold on 22/01/2013 20:50:03

newby23/01/2013 16:02:03
10 forum posts

Hi Derek

I followed all the insyructions which were the same as my previous attemptgs but for some reason the pics are not uploading. I don't know if it is me or the computer.

and

George,

My mechanism is approximately 50mm x 45mm x 17mm deep. I don't have a problem with making the box to fit but the mechanism switch is a stiff wire and whilst appreciating that it must connect with the lid I am unsure how to do this unobtrusively.

Thanks

Paul Bodiam24/01/2013 13:29:50
100 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Newby

You need a push rod (see this http://www.shop4musicboxes.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=28 )

Drill a 2.5mm (or whatever size gives a nice loose fit) hole staight down through the side wall of your music box and drop this rod into the hole. Excavate a small window inside your music box that joins up with the bottom of the hole you have just drilled. Now you can bend your brake wire (the stiff wire you mention) so it threads through the small hole in the end of the push rod.

A little bit of fiddling and judicious cutting to length and you will end up with the closed lid pressing down onto the push rod, operating the brake on the mechanism.

hope this helps, or at least makes sense.

cheers

Paul

Edited By Paul Bodiam on 24/01/2013 13:31:31

Simon Reeves24/01/2013 13:32:28
622 forum posts
227 photos

Hi Newby

An extract from another thread from a while back that might be of help.

I had the same problem a while back. It turned out to be the filename I had used. Check you only use letters and numbers, but no apostrophes or other punctuation characters. Underscores and hyphens might be OK. Also, make sure the file is one of the acceptable types, e.g. .JPG, and is not too large.

Ref the movement, I have a really old box where the mechanism switch is a piece of wire that pokes up slightly through a small hole in the inside edge (a small ledge in fact) at the back of the box. When the lid is closed, it pushes the wire down, which then pivots and stops the mechanism.

HTH

Simon

newby24/01/2013 16:22:51
10 forum posts

Many thanks all. I think I will go for the push rod and conceal the wire. Will also have anothe crack at the photos.

Have to say how impressed I am at the help available and the generous way it is given.

Thanks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact